Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are all TransUnion scores the same?

tag
lithium78
Established Contributor

Are all TransUnion scores the same?

I get my TransUnion score quarterly from MyFico and it is a 644 as of July.  Today, I took advantage of Walmart Credit Card's free TransUnion score as well and it is showing me 633 for August.  The only difference between July and August is that I dropped my three year old Direct Rewards Discover card ($300 CL) for a brand new Discover More card ($1000 credit limit.)  My AAoA in July was 8 years, 7 months and I have a lot of student loans so I can't imagine that swapping out one card would make enough of a difference to drop my score 11 points overnight.

So, what I am wondering is if there are different TransUnion scores available from different sources?  I can't make sense of this at all.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are all TransUnion scores the same?

There are 2 different versions of TU to use. a 98 version and an 04 version.

Myfico here uses a 98 version (older).

I am not sure but it sounds like Walmart may be using the newer one, the 04.

Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Are all TransUnion scores the same?

@lithium78 wrote:

I get my TransUnion score quarterly from MyFico and it is a 644 as of July.  Today, I took advantage of Walmart Credit Card's free TransUnion score as well and it is showing me 633 for August.  The only difference between July and August is that I dropped my three year old Direct Rewards Discover card ($300 CL) for a brand new Discover More card ($1000 credit limit.)  My AAoA in July was 8 years, 7 months and I have a lot of student loans so I can't imagine that swapping out one card would make enough of a difference to drop my score 11 points overnight.

So, what I am wondering is if there are different TransUnion scores available from different sources?  I can't make sense of this at all.

Smiley Happy   FICO creates FICO scores for each of the three CRAs, TransUnion included. Like a car or computer, FICO updates their product from time to time to respond to lenders' needs and to adapt to the every changing economy. As a result of these formula updates, you'll find that there are several FICO scores for each CRA. Millions of pulls were used last year for the TransUnion version found on myFICO.com and that TU FICO version is called TU98. Most mortgage lenders use a newer version called TU04 for TransUnion. Then there are even newer versions like the TU08 version. These are just Classic scores. Then there are non-Classic FICO scores out there like mortgage-enhanced FICO scores which focus more on your mortgage history, or bankcard-enhanced FICO scores which focus on your CC history, among many others. As a result of all of these versions out there, it's not uncommon to see different FICO scores even when pulled the same day...and it can get confusing.

The version found on here is TU98. The one offered via Wal-Mart's free service is not a TU98 FICO score and the version is unknown; it hasn't been disclosed. I've pulled my TU98 from here the same exact day the score from Wal-Mart updated and they did not match. When you apply for a Wal-Mart CC, the score they pull is a FICO NextGen score, however the score range doesn't match the free score from Wal-Mart so it isn't that. Who knows?! In short though, your TU FICO did not drop.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.