cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are charge cards considered credit cards?

tag
Drew
Frequent Contributor

Are charge cards considered credit cards?

I was looking at the FICO algorithm and comparing it to my current credit profile.  I see that FICO is more forgiving on thin credit files with 6+ credit cards versus 3-5.  I, however, only have 5 credit cards and 4 charge cards.  Are charge cards considered credit cards according to FICO or are they not taken into consideration?

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Are charge cards considered credit cards?

Yes, both credit cards and charge cards are considered to be revolving credit.    However FICO scoring doesn't include the balance on charge cards in your revolving utilization calculations.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 22
Drew
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

Yes, both credit cards and charge cards are considered to be revolving credit.    However FICO scoring doesn't include the balance on charge cards in your revolving utilization calculations.

Would a Visa Signature (or Flexible Spending Credit Card) be considered a charge card then?

Message 3 of 22
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Drew wrote:

Would a Visa Signature (or Flexible Spending Credit Card) be considered a charge card then?

Yes, assuming that the card doesn't display a credit limit on your reports.   I believe that most Signature cards are like this.

Message 4 of 22
Drew
Frequent Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

@Drew wrote:

Yes, assuming that the card doesn't display a credit limit on your reports.   I believe that most Signature cards are like this.

Well, these specific cards actually do show a credit limit.

Message 5 of 22
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Drew wrote:

Well, these specific cards actually do show a credit limit.

If that's the case then any balances reported will be included in FICO revolving utliization.

Message 6 of 22
sjt
Senior Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

Hi,

Clarifiying question: I was told charge cards are considered "open" accounts and that the balance is not considered in utilization like you mention on certain FICO scoring models like FICO 08. Previous scoring models use the balances on a charge card in their utilization ratio.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 7 of 22
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

That's correct ~ the earlier TU98 version includes the charge card balances in utilization, whereas the 04 and 08 FICO models do not.
Message 8 of 22
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

Still trying to figure out why anyone would want a "Charge card"....  Unless you have a TON of income, and just need it for convienence.  Or just having an AMEX name on a card......

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 22
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@mtrsprt wrote:

Still trying to figure out why anyone would want a "Charge card"....  Unless you have a TON of income, and just need it for convienence.  Or just having an AMEX name on a card......

Because most people don't carry balances on their credit cards anyway and just use them for the benefits of using a credit card + the great rewards for spending. 

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.