Super Contributor

Re: Are charge cards considered credit cards?

Many people prefer charge cards for this exact reason, that balances aren't included in FICO revolving utilization.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Regular Contributor

My Visa signature DOES NOT show a credit limit on any of the three reports. I actually called the bank yesterday because I was wondering why, they said that becuase I have the ability to go over the limit, the limit doenst post to the CAs.

Valued Contributor

pizzadude wrote:
Many people prefer charge cards for this exact reason, that balances aren't included in FICO revolving utilization.

Yep and as a result I, like many that pif, use charge cards in preference to CCs.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Blogger

pizzadude wrote:

Yes, both credit cards and charge cards are considered to be revolving credit.    However FICO scoring doesn't include the balance on charge cards in your revolving utilization calculations.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this terminology. Is "revolving credit" the same as "revolver"? I thought revolver=credit card, and <> charge card....

Established Contributor

Revolving line and revolver are the same.
New Contributor

Revolving credit and revolver are both terms for credit cards.

You can think of it either like the gun or there's a dictionary definition. With the gun analogy, to empty the gun you use six or so bullets, each making the chamber lighter. With a credit card (from this definition), you load the card and make payments until it's payed off. Contrast that with a charge card, which is more like a laser gun that you charge up and then 'blast' at the end of the month.

Alternately, the dictionary definition:

3. To recur in cycles or at periodic intervals.

Walmart Store Card: $600 & Amazon Store Card: $1200
Amazon.com Visa: $500 & Chase Freedom: $3000
US Bank REI Visa Signature: $5500
Discover It: $100

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Blogger

I like that analogy!

So we seem to agree that

Credit cards = revolving accounts = revolvers

Charge cards <> revolvers

Is there a common term for credit cards and charge cards?

Valued Contributor

Drew wrote:

I was looking at the FICO algorithm and comparing it to my current credit profile.  I see that FICO is more forgiving on thin credit files with 6+ credit cards versus 3-5.  I, however, only have 5 credit cards and 4 charge cards.  Are charge cards considered credit cards according to FICO or are they not taken into consideration?

What do you mean by more forgiving on thin credit files if you have 6+ cards?

TU08 Fico Score (700)-Goal Score-(750)
AMEX PRG NPSL,AMEX BCE $15,000, Lowes $12000, Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Discover it $6000, Capital One Quicksliver world mastercard $5500, Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500
Regular Contributor

Overall scores appear to be higher according to FICO with 6+ credit cards.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $25000
Barclays Sallie Mae World MasterCard $25000
Capital One Venture World MasterCard $12500
Chase Freedom Visa Signature $25000
Discover IT $13500
US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature $25000
Synchrony Bank Old Navy Visa $25000

Regular Contributor

bigblue7722 wrote:

Drew wrote:

I was looking at the FICO algorithm and comparing it to my current credit profile.  I see that FICO is more forgiving on thin credit files with 6+ credit cards versus 3-5.  I, however, only have 5 credit cards and 4 charge cards.  Are charge cards considered credit cards according to FICO or are they not taken into consideration?

What do you mean by more forgiving on thin credit files if you have 6+ cards?

There is a FICO score spreadsheet that simulates how FICO is affected by aging of accounts, opening of new accounts, etc.  This speadsheet indicates that 3-5 credit cards has a lower starting score than 6+ credit cards on the FICO algorithm.  I'm not sure if that is 100% accurate though.

That brings me back to my original question:  are store cards considered credit cards according to this model?  Currently, I only have 5 actual credit cards (two of which are Visa Signature that report credit limits) and 4-5 store cards.  Should I be applying for another credit card?

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $25000
Barclays Sallie Mae World MasterCard $25000
Capital One Venture World MasterCard $12500
Chase Freedom Visa Signature $25000
Discover IT $13500
US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature $25000
Synchrony Bank Old Navy Visa $25000

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.