cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are disputed accounts factored into FICO score?

tag
Hairy_Satchel
New Contributor

Are disputed accounts factored into FICO score?

I disputed a baddie with EQ about a month ago. It still shows on my report but my score has gone up 51 points. Do they count disputed accounts when factoring FICO scores?
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hairy_Satchel
New Contributor

Re: Are disputed accounts factored into FICO score?

The only other recent change was a $100 medical collection that was PIF using the HIPPA process last week. The account was over 4 years old. But I had no idea that it would raise my score by over 50 points. I'm firmly in the 700 club and running out of things to fix on my reports. I guess I will need to get a new hobby like a house or something. Thanks for the reply :-)

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish I could say for sure, but I've really heard it both ways & have no evidence to support that it is or isn't factored in. I've have filed disputes and had a big decrease & later rose back up by the same amount & I've filed many without any scorechange what so ever. Except for a slight increase if something came back in my favor. I'm sure this is why someone hasn't answered yet , because no one wants to mislead you. I would read up on the forums & I'm sure you may find another answer. Is it possible you just recently paid down a lot on creditcard balances? Had some inquiries or a birthday? Maybe even if it was verified it was updated in a way that is seen as less negative. Passably you changed buckets somehow.  Just look a little closer at your reports & post any changes you see& someone can possibly give you some insight.
Message 2 of 7
Hairy_Satchel
New Contributor

The only other recent change was a $100 medical collection that was PIF using the HIPPA process last week. The account was over 4 years old. But I had no idea that it would raise my score by over 50 points. I'm firmly in the 700 club and running out of things to fix on my reports. I guess I will need to get a new hobby like a house or something. Thanks for the reply :-)

Message 3 of 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Paying a collection will not help your score, unless the collection is removed via HIPAA process or a PFD.

It has to be the dispute.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 7
Hairy_Satchel
New Contributor

Since I have done just about everything in the book and everthing has worked, it doesn't really matter. I do know that it takes Fico scores time to catch up. Thanks again to everyone at Myfico credit repair forum.

5/09 TU 809 EQ 728 EX 800
4/09 TU 789 EQ 676 EX 696
2/09 TU 783 EQ 731 EX ???
2/09 TU 678 EQ 674 EX 676
12/08 TU 611 EQ 659 EX 620
2/07 TU 570 EQ 565 EX 550
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is a PFD?

Message 6 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

What is a PFD?

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.