cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are these consumer "statements" hurting my score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are these consumer "statements" hurting my score?

I'm noticing on my credit reports some items with consumer statements that say "account information disputed by consumer". I guess when I've disputed an item on my report, this is the resulting comment added. Can I ask the CRAs to delete these statements and are they possibly hurting my score?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Are these consumer "statements" hurting my score?

good question. Wish i could help you with an answer.

i got an alert today that my score went up 7 points and the only changes were 2 consumer dispute stmts added to Unifund and Washington Mutual/Providan which i am in a battle with. They are 2 duplicate accts. on my report claiming late payments during the same timeframe and both showing open?? uggghh!

My question is how could this have made my score go uP? i can't see anything else that changed??
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The comments can either: Help, Hurt or do nothing.

I really can't seem to find too many consistancies

Other than- PR and CA's are unaffected by this comment-

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

IMO, I don't think there's an impact. FICO needs those comments to be quantified for scoring purposes. Now I have experienced a major score shift by changes in my "Worst Delinquency" box on the FICO reports. 20 points when a CA changed comment from "was 120+ days past due" to "collection activity"  or similar.
Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I definitely see score changes. I have a store card that won't note that I paid it back in January. I disputed on EQ only, and look how much higher it is than the others. Edit to add: it has a 90-day late slightly over two years old.

I also asked Sears Citi for GW, and their zombie word-recognition software put in a consumer-disputes (which I didn't.) All three scores went up a good chunk, and this was back in December. It should have expired in mid-January, but there it sits. So I guess I'm still getting at least some of the boost. It will be ugly when it finally goes away.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 03-22-2008 11:48 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.