Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User - Can I Remove It?

tag
DubbaYou
Valued Member

Authorized User - Can I Remove It?

Hello!  Been a long time in recovering my score, and I am at 745 now.  I am taking some heat for my wife's one credit card having a high usage on it from her going through grad school.  I'm an authorized user on the card, so wondering if removing myself from that would help my score, since my usage percentage would improve, or if it would count as if I closed an account?

I'm also wondering if I add her as an authorized user on my cards, would that help boost her score?  Not sure how all this works and I've seen lots about adding yourself as an authorized user to boost your score, but not about removing the AU status.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Authorized User - Can I Remove It?

Removing someone as an authorized user should cause the account to just disappear from that person's credit reports.  "Closed" would not be an appropriate status as the account would still be open.  If the reason your score is being suppressed is due to high utilization on that one card, then yes it would increase your score once it fell off of your reports.  We don't have any specifics, but that card would really need to be maxed out and/or make up a large percentage of your overall credit limits in order to make that much of a difference, though.  It really depends on the profile.

As for whether adding her as an AU would help her, the answer is likely yes but again it depends on her profile.  Adding cards substantially newer than her existing accounts would likely do more harm than good in the short term.  We'd really need to know more about her profile (like the type of accounts, balances, age - closed and open) and age/limits/balances of the cards you're considering adding her to.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.