Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized User card

I have an authorized user card for my elderly Mother's account to help her with bills.  The credit history for that card is added to my credit report.  I recently noticed that she had a late payment in 2007 that is effecting my score.  If I cancel the authorized user card, will this record come off of my report or will it stay on for a while?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Authorized User card

Hi, welcome to the forums! To clarify, she owns the account, and you're the AU, correct?

Most banks will remove the canceled AU account at the next regular update time, which is generally when the statement posts. But I once had my husband and younger daughter as AU's on an AmEx card. They've been off of it for a year and a half, and it still is on their reports. Maddening.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I am the AU.  This is a Discover card.  Anyone have experience with that?
Message 3 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes, I am the AU.  This is a Discover card.  Anyone have experience with that?

Welcome.

If you remove yourself it will come off very quickly.

(myfico)
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

CC interest free as of 8/09
Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO.
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

We did have one member whose former Discover AU account kept posting, and it made her crazy, as it had a balance.

I would call Discover and ask the CSR. Unlike many other banks, their CSR's are very knowledgeable as a rule. I'd just ask them to make sure that the account is notated in such a way that it will stop reporting. (There's a code for that.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.