Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User on Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized User on Credit Card

Hello!

I'm considering adding one of my parents as an authorized user on a credit card I have (Chase Sapphire). They do not have a good credit score as a result of a foreclosed home and are going through the bankruptcy process. As a result - they do not have access to a line of credit.

Other than the typical concern of someone making too many charges on a card, is there any risk of having an authorized user with a bad credit score or one that is going through bankruptcy? Is it possible for their score or the bankruptcy process itself to have a negative effect on my score in any way? My credit score is currently 742 and I don't want to take a hit.

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Authorized User on Credit Card

Your credit history appears on their CR, and not vice-versa.  Being the card holder that has an AU does not appear in your CR.

You can eliminate possible threat to you by simply not providing a card under the AU account to the authorized user.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.