Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized User provides dramatic boost to FICO score

tag
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Authorized User provides dramatic boost to FICO score

A while back, I was asking for ideas on improving my fiance's credit score before we attempt to purchase a house. Her EQ FICO score was 660 with two 120-lates, due to a former boyfriend who opened joint accounts with her, bought a ton of stuff, then disappeared. All of her personal credit was spotless otherwise, but she had no revolving accounts following the closure of the two joint accounts.

Several here suggested that I add her as an authorized user to my two existing cards:

AMEX - 6 years old - $10,000 CL
Discover - 10 years old - $6300 CL

The AMEX reported last week, and jumped her score 30 points to 690! I believe this is partially due to the fact that she had NO open revolving accounts on her report previously, so I don't know that we'll see quite that big of a jump when the Discover reports, unless the account age has a significant impact.

Anyway, I just wanted to share in case someone is searching for something similar. YMMV based on your situation, but this was within 1 month's time, and without having finished any goodwill letters to the lenders to try to get the baddies removed.

I'll report in again when Discover reports in a few days. Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
striving1

Re: Authorized User provides dramatic boost to FICO score

By adding her as AU did it affect your score at all? I've been asking my sister to add me to one of her accounts and this is her reason for not doing it - fear that it may cause a drop in her score. I've been working towards purchasing a home since last year and once I got serious about trying to restore my credit I've managed to pull score up from 568 in July 2010 to 626 today...no, its not perfect credit but I am still beyond happy! Smiley Very Happy

I am post-bankruptcy (dismissed), only have 2 credit accounts - one furniture, the other one a Cap One card ($400 CL). If I continue to pay down balance on furniture account and pay off credit card statement to within $10 each month how much can I expect my score to increase by April 1? And if my sis adds me how much could that raise my score? FHA requires a 640+ so I'm pushing towards that goal!

Starting Score: 528
Current Score: 626
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@striving1 wrote:

By adding her as AU did it affect your score at all? I've been asking my sister to add me to one of her accounts and this is her reason for not doing it - fear that it may cause a drop in her score. I've been working towards purchasing a home since last year and once I got serious about trying to restore my credit I've managed to pull score up from 568 in July 2010 to 626 today...no, its not perfect credit but I am still beyond happy! Smiley Very Happy

I am post-bankruptcy (dismissed), only have 2 credit accounts - one furniture, the other one a Cap One card ($400 CL). If I continue to pay down balance on furniture account and pay off credit card statement to within $10 each month how much can I expect my score to increase by April 1? And if my sis adds me how much could that raise my score? FHA requires a 640+ so I'm pushing towards that goal!

I'm reasonably certain that adding someone as an AU on your card, in itself, does not affect your credit score.  If the person charges up a balance on the card, then that can affect your score because it will affect yoru utilization.  I just added my fiance as an AU on my Amex and it didn't affect my score.

If your sister is worried about you running up a balance, you can give her the card so you can't make charges.  Also, if it did somehow affect her score, she can always remove you as an AU.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

I agree with Walt here. Other than the scenerios he listed, her credit score will not be impacted. Handing the card over to her is also a good "insurance" policy, if you don't need/plan to use it.

As far as the score boost, based on your plan of paying down your balance, I definitely think with the AU addition you will be well within your minimum for the home loan. Good luck!

----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@striving1 wrote:

Hi striving,

Adding someone else as an AU, in and of itself,  doesn't affect your credit report or your credit score.

If your sister remains uncomfortable about adding you as an AU, then you may want to look at other options for raising your FICO score.  You've probably already been there - but In the Rebuilding Your Credit forums, you'll find lots of helpful advice on how to build or rebuild your credit.

I'm assuming your furniture account is a revolving account and not an installment?  If so, you'll want to watch your reporting balances (usually the balance on the statement date).  Generally, for best FICO scores, all but one revolving account should report a zero balance.  The remaining one account should report a balance less than 9%.

If you furniture account is an installment account, then its utilization is figured separately and differently than utilization on revolving accounts.

Good luck on that mortgage - we'll all be pulling for ya!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.