cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized Users and Credit Scoring?

tag
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Authorized Users and Credit Scoring?

It brings up the question of how it is that credit card companies can add you as AU without your consent?

Message 41 of 54
brother7
Established Contributor

@minnieamy1025 wrote:

After I ran my credit report I discovered a card my husband had added me to as an authorized user, with a big red negative flag. They payment history is terrible, and I never actually knew I was on this card, or received billing info. I called the bank and took my name off. I also did an online dispute with Equifax. Has anyone had luck getting this type of stain off their credit report? I'm anxious to hear as this is the only big problem with my credit as of now.  From searching online I see people have had mixed results.... 

Since you said "I never actually knew I was on this card", it sounds like you don't use the card anyway. Why not ask your husband to remove you as AU on that account? With a single action, the account should automatically disappear from your credit reports. Wouldn't that be easier than disputing all 3 CRAs?

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 42 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to chime in on this conversation. I was added to my brothers account as an AU, my score jumped 123 points OVERNIGHT 10% Utilization, 18k limit, opened for 11 years. Upon trying to get a mortgage I was told I had to remove this completely off my CR's. Not sure how it will affect something like refinancing a car, but it does work, unless your applying for a mortgage.

Message 43 of 54
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Ok so I need to ask, my x boyfirend gave them permision to talk to me which added me as a authorized user , he later let it go to charge off status and its on my report. Since I never had a card and only talked them , how would I go about getting it removed? I dont even know the account number etc and I am sure not paying the balance!

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 44 of 54
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@ktl72455 wrote:

Ok so I need to ask, my x boyfirend gave them permision to talk to me which added me as a authorized user , he later let it go to charge off status and its on my report. Since I never had a card and only talked them , how would I go about getting it removed? I dont even know the account number etc and I am sure not paying the balance!

Dispute as "not mine" because it isn't yours.

Message 45 of 54
nois
Regular Contributor

@brother7 wrote:

@minnieamy1025 wrote:

After I ran my credit report I discovered a card my husband had added me to as an authorized user, with a big red negative flag. They payment history is terrible, and I never actually knew I was on this card, or received billing info. I called the bank and took my name off. I also did an online dispute with Equifax. Has anyone had luck getting this type of stain off their credit report? I'm anxious to hear as this is the only big problem with my credit as of now.  From searching online I see people have had mixed results.... 

Since you said "I never actually knew I was on this card", it sounds like you don't use the card anyway. Why not ask your husband to remove you as AU on that account? With a single action, the account should automatically disappear from your credit reports. Wouldn't that be easier than disputing all 3 CRAs?

+1

Disputing with the CRAs as "not my account" may get the account off your report but only temporarily - if the original credit card account is still open and you're still listed as an AU, the CCC may continue to report the account in future months causing it to reappear on your CR.

The first step in removing should be to contact the CCC to end the AU status on the account and then, if the account is still showing on your reports, dispute as "not my account" to get it permanently removed. 

FEB 2014 EQ: 798 EX: 780 TU: 798
Message 46 of 54
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Update: I disputed on Equifax as not mine and it came back today after investigation and they are deleteing it off my CR. Now Should I send a copy of that to the other 2 CRA's or do a dispute through them as well?

From MI.

Myfico 8 scores
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 47 of 54
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

@ktl72455 wrote:

Update: I disputed on Equifax as not mine and it came back today after investigation and they are deleteing it off my CR. Now Should I send a copy of that to the other 2 CRA's or do a dispute through them as well?

You would have to dispute as not your account the same on each credit bureau that is reporting it.

EDITED to ADD since I just realized my information is not factual.

If the information comes back as investigated by the CRA for account not yours and removing the information, the CRA is suppose to also report to the other credit bureaus to also remove said information.

In my opinion though I personally would not depend on the CRA. So I would also submit to the other CRA's.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 48 of 54
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Thanks!

From MI.

Myfico 8 scores
UTL 17%
Message 49 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized Users and Credit Scoring?.

closing.  Underwriters are requesting that me and my husband be taken off my grandmothers american express card as authorized users.  I dont understand it and very uncomfortable.  I asked my loan officer and he didnt give me a good reason.  Wont that lower my credit score?  If they pull my credit again, what if it drops our scores to the point we dont qualify for loan any longer?  I dont understand this at all.  Will be seeing loan officer on Monday.  I would appreciate any advice and questions for the LO.

Message 50 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.