cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized Users and Credit Scoring?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized Users and Credit Scoring?

How did being taken off as authorized user on your brothers account go for you?  My mortgage company is asking me to do the same thing!

Message 51 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I've got one for you... I'm going through a divorce. My wife (to be Ex) had me as an AU on a number of cards (all in good standing). Ones I seldom, if ever used, she has now obviously removed me and it seems my credit score has dropped about 120+ points. I was in the 700's and now I'm in the upper 500's. What's the deal with this? If anything, my personal credit has done nothing but improved. The available credit has obviously lessend, but can that cause that big of a drop? Is there anything I can do to improve this situation? I'm scared that now that I'm looking to refi and keep the house, my credit will suddenly be way too low to quallify. Help...

Message 52 of 54
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, I've got one for you... I'm going through a divorce. My wife (to be Ex) had me as an AU on a number of cards (all in good standing). Ones I seldom, if ever used, she has now obviously removed me and it seems my credit score has dropped about 120+ points. I was in the 700's and now I'm in the upper 500's. What's the deal with this? If anything, my personal credit has done nothing but improved. The available credit has obviously lessend, but can that cause that big of a drop? Is there anything I can do to improve this situation? I'm scared that now that I'm looking to refi and keep the house, my credit will suddenly be way too low to quallify. Help...

There could be a number of things going on. Usually when you are removed as an AU, the account will delete from your credit reports. This can impact your mix of credit, your length of history, your AAoA, and your CC utilization. So if these accounts are older or among your oldest accounts before they deleted, then you could take a beating when they did delete. Or if you don't have any other CCs aside from these, or if you do have higher utilization on these in relation to the ones removed, then you can see a significant drop there too.

Message 53 of 54
ginger92

Im concerned that I might have damaged my sons credit . I added him as an authorized user on a few of my accounts. Ive fell upon hard times in the past several months and my balances are high. I make my payments fine. The problem is that though adding my son has helped his score. My balances are showing on his report, Im concerned that can affect his credit to debt ratio and that when he goes to try to finance a car it will show his income not enough to cover the payments because they might factor in the payment being made on my balances. Which again I pay with no problem. Will the bank no he is just an authorized user and that his income she not be considered as being used to pay card payments?

Message 54 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.