cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user question

tag
becardi112

Authorized user question

I have an interesting question. I was thinking of adding my father as an authorized user on my Citi prestige card. In most cases the authorized user has a worse credit score then the primary cardholder. But my father's credit score is near perfect and I am wondering if by adding him as an authorized user his credit score can go down. I keep my utilization extremely low and never carry a balance, and I have also never made a late payment. This would only be so he could take advantage of some of the perks of the card without the 450 annual fee. So in general if the card is used correctly can it have a negative impact. Any info would be helpful thank you.
Credit Cards - Chase Sapphire Reserve- $32,000, Citi Prestige Card- $18,000, Amex Gold Premier Rewards-NPSL Approved for $30,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $5,000, Capital One Quicksilver- $3,250, PNC Cashbuilder- $1500 Credit Scores - TU-??? Exp-773 EQ-776
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Authorized user question

With the conditions you mention (low utilization, never late) it should not affect your Dad's credit. If he had a 'thin' or new file maybe but that does not sound like the case.

Is there no fee for an AU on that card? (I am not familiar with the card)

Message 2 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

@becardi112 wrote:
I have an interesting question. I was thinking of adding my father as an authorized user on my Citi prestige card. In most cases the authorized user has a worse credit score then the primary cardholder. But my father's credit score is near perfect and I am wondering if by adding him as an authorized user his credit score can go down. I keep my utilization extremely low and never carry a balance, and I have also never made a late payment. This would only be so he could take advantage of some of the perks of the card without the 450 annual fee. So in general if the card is used correctly can it have a negative impact. Any info would be helpful thank you.

If he has a long credit history the only effect would be to his AAoA from the new account 

Thus lowering it could cause scores to fluctuate but with a thick file it will recover the slight hit if any hit at all rather quickly 

So go ahead and add dad so he can enjoy the perks of the Prestige .....it's a heck of a card 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Forgot to add 

Welcome to the forum

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 6
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@becardi112 wrote:

How old is your prestige card?  If it's new, it could lower his average age of accounts if he only has a few credit cards.  That is the only down side I can see if you payoff the card each month and have no lates.

Message 5 of 6
bch238
Regular Contributor

Curious, why are you thinking about adding your dad as an AU on your Citi Prestige?

FICO Scores (MARCH 2016): EQ 829; EX 825; TU 828
AmEx BCP $25,000; AmEx Platinum (NPSL); Barclaycard JetBlue Rewards $5,000; Bank of America Cash Rewards $27,500; Chase Sapphire Preferred $33,700; Chase Marriott Rewards Premier $15,000; Chase Freedom $12,000; Citi Prestige $30,500; Virgin America Premium $25,000; The Home Depot Card $20,500; Capital One Platinum $15,000
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.