Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user questions

I have been rebuilding for exactly two years and I have somehow managed to get my scores from a 480-510 range to a 619-622 range which I am so excited about. However, I really want to buy a home around February. If I were to have a close friend of mine who has nearly perfect credit and has for a long time, add me as an authorized user on one of his credit cards to give me a bump in scores what are the risk for both me and him both? I am trying to keep my utilization as low as I can but as of today I am at 32%. If he adds me on one of his cards and his utilization is around 6% will having me as an authorized user using 32% hurt his score. I should add I am talking about not using his credit card he adds me to at all. I told him I don't even want a card and that he can just cut mine up or something. I just want a little boost to my score. Any advice for me or for him?

Thanks

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Authorized user questions

If you are added as an AU under his account, his account info will report to your credit file.

It does not affect his scoring UNLESS he lets you have a card and permits you to add debt to his account.

The peril to you is that you have no control over what he does under his own credit history/account.

He can accrue delinquencies or other derogs, and can run up the % utilization, and you wont be aware for until a month or more later.

You must monitor your credit report a bit more closely to make sure the AU is still helping.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.