Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user used to boost score.

tag
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Authorized user used to boost score.

I was advised to post my question on the credit card side, I was told you guys are experts so here goes.... I am trying to rebuild my credit. I opened 2 secured cards from cap 1 and 1 unsecured from First premier (only ones that would give me credit) My friend put me on their Amex and my score jumped overnight 30 points. I need additional points so they are planning to add me to their oldest accnt, JCpenny. My understanding is I need to be on their for 6 months at least for their GOOD credit history even impacts me . Will a department store card even make much of a difference. When I try to take out a loan will being on someone else's accnt come into question? Any and all advise welcome.

(Moved here to Understanding FICO Scoring for best response, as question is primarily about scoring effects of AUs/credit cards. - Scamp, Mod)

CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Authorized user used to boost score.

If the JCP is added, it doesn't need to be on there for 6 months to add the history. When the AU is added, it is instant history (provided it isn't brand new).

Adding it really won't improve the mix due to the Amex (assuming it's a charge). It can improve your overall length of history and/or AAoA if old. If the CC is years old and free of baddies, then as far as FICO is concerned, the day you add it is will be scored as a very old account free from blemishes.

CC utilization also would be an impact when adding an AU.

YMMV on the loan. If FICO is used only, then the AU will be viewed just as if it were yours. If under a manual review, they might call it into question. If they use their own internal score, like GECRB, then they can choose whether or not to include AUs.

Message 2 of 24
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If a credtior chooses to do a manual review of your credit report, there is a reason.  They are looking for more than just a three-digit credit score.

Seeing the credit history of another as part of your data for score calculation would obviously bring into question the amount of score "inflation" (or even deflation) caused by that history.  If they then wish to use a FICO score that reflects only your own, personal risk based on your own history, they simply have no way to do that.  They cant run their own FICO score, isolating that history.

Of course, the amount they might discount your score in their decision-making is up to them.  But it might be a factor.

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does it affect the person allowing you to be added on?
Message 4 of 24
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Does it affect the person allowing you to be added on?

Not at all, unless the AU runs up the CC and fails to pay it.

Message 5 of 24
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

The impact of an authorized user account depends on which FICO model that is being used IE FICO08, Beacon 9 etc.

If is FICO 08 the amount of the increase (if any) would not  be same as older versions of the FICO score.  Please refer the FICO 08 specs on FICO's website.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@AndySoCal wrote:

The impact of an authorized user account depends on which FICO model that is being used IE FICO08, Beacon 9 etc.

If is FICO 08 the amount of the increase (if any) would not  be same as older versions of the FICO score.  Please refer the FICO 08 specs on FICO's website.

I don't think that's unilaterally correct and impossible to prove regardless based on the anecdotal evidence on this forum or by what FICO themselves have stated from what I've read.  If you have a specific announcement from Fair Issac I'd be interested in reading it especially if I'm incorrect on this point.

They backed off the complete airstrike of AU's in the FICO '08 model, and the artificial score deflation that would occur in the give or take 1-2M users who were legitimate AU accounts (spouses pimarily and perhaps adult children) and who would have no FICO score if not for those.  There was some blurb about the algorithm's only taking reasonable AU accounts into consideration in an attempt to prevent the abuse of selling tradelines which occurred under the older models; however, this is probably in conjunction with the lenders' reporting I'd estimate as I don't know if FICO or anyone else has any capability to look at multiple datasets in a single lookup without violating various privacy constraints.  Even a joint or co-signed application is two separate pulls from an approval perspective, with both parties consent.

        
Message 7 of 24
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Revelate,

Click on the link below then scroll  down doe proection from authorized user abuse.

http://www.fico.com/en/Products/Scoring/Pages/FICO-score.aspx

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 24
Lasardo
Established Contributor

I posted this question 2x , apologies, still learning. I did not select the "email me when someone replies" on this particular post.. please delete This post.
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 9 of 24
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@AndySoCal wrote:

Revelate,

Click on the link below then scroll  down doe proection from authorized user abuse.

http://www.fico.com/en/Products/Scoring/Pages/FICO-score.aspx

I can't find that on the page?

I know what FICO released to the press around the FICO 8 / AU-ignore retraction.  I know that they said they had something in place to allow legitimate AU's to be counted (family members, spouses certainly, are legitimate uses) but some unannounced (go figure!) method of preventing the more abusive scenarios, but did they post something more specific on that?

        
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.