Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Credit and Scoring

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Auto Credit and Scoring

I read over at CB that prepaying an auto loan would not help your record and to just pay off the loan on time. At first blush I would tend to agree with you.
Message 11 of 90
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I imagine my repo put a real dent in my Auto enhanced score. The financial person told me they could show me my report but did say my score was 640. I don't know what that means. I have three paid off cars on my reports as of now obviously many more that didn't show. BK and car repos are a killer. I don't advise either one.
Message 12 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great information. I've been looking at a particular car for the last few months, doing my homework, and have been worried about my score. I went to a dealer yesterday and found that they had my Exp. score at 571 while I last pulled my score from myFico and it was 613 with them about three months ago (all I have is a secured card for a year and no other credit for the last 5). Needless to say I was upset and shocked by that. My question is, would a charge off on an RV loan that was refinanced to include a vehicle be throwing off my score so much? I haven't had either vehicle in the last 5 & 4 years respectfully. Am I now doomed with this larger spread or does these 'go away' after so many years? Thanks btc
Message 13 of 90
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I think the RV is hurting to be sure.
Message 14 of 90
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

breakingthecode wrote:
Great information. I've been looking at a particular car for the last few months, doing my homework, and have been worried about my score. I went to a dealer yesterday and found that they had my Exp. score at 571 while I last pulled my score from myFico and it was 613 with them about three months ago (all I have is a secured card for a year and no other credit for the last 5). Needless to say I was upset and shocked by that. My question is, would a charge off on an RV loan that was refinanced to include a vehicle be throwing off my score so much? I haven't had either vehicle in the last 5 & 4 years respectfully. Am I now doomed with this larger spread or does these 'go away' after so many years? Thanks btc

YES! That charge off is hurting you!
Message 15 of 90
Anonymous
Not applicable

What, if anything, can I do to lesson this?  Do I need to wait so many years or just take on loans at these higher APR's (the dealership said they would do it for a jaw dropping 18%) for smaller loan amounts?
Message 16 of 90
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Good morning, Tuscani!  This is great info, and of course I have a question, or two.  Over the course of the past 7 years, my husband has had three auto loans.  All were paid on time/never late, and all are paid off.  His regular credit scores are inching up -- high 500s right now, one's a few from 600.   He was recently approved for a WaMu, 2000 limit, and an AmEx gold, on the business.  When I pulled his business credit snapshot from Ex, it deems the business a low  to medium risk, but didn't give a score.  There isn't anything on the company credit other than a gas card.  Everything's fallen off, over the years.  He is always receiving pre-qualified advertisements from car dealerships. 

Does he stand a good chance of getting a new truck at a reputable dealer, and how might he go about negotiating that?  The last auto loan he took out was with our daughter, who needed a car to get back and forth to the university, 30 something miles away.  He ended up paying over 25 percent interest on it, through Anything On you probably know what, which is highway robbery to be sure! But the car established her credit and improved his.  He needs a truck as his has near 300,000 miles on it now, and is costing in repairs.  (Luckilly, two of our sons are auto mechanics, and one owns his own shop).  He doesn't want to be embarassed by going in to apply, only to be turned down for an autoloan, you know? 

Also, what if one has never had an auto loan but their scores are in the mid 600 range?  Would that factor as a positive or a negative in auto financing.  Thanks for your input.

Message 17 of 90
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

breakingthecode wrote:
What, if anything, can I do to lesson this?  Do I need to wait so many years or just take on loans at these higher APR's (the dealership said they would do it for a jaw dropping 18%) for smaller loan amounts?

Aside from trying to dispute any inaccuracies, you just have to wait it out. When did the account first go delinquent?
Message 18 of 90
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

MercyMe wrote:
Good morning, Tuscani!  This is great info, and of course I have a question, or two.  Over the course of the past 7 years, my husband has had three auto loans.  All were paid on time/never late, and all are paid off.  His regular credit scores are inching up -- high 500s right now, one's a few from 600.   He was recently approved for a WaMu, 2000 limit, and an AmEx gold, on the business.  When I pulled his business credit snapshot from Ex, it deems the business a low  to medium risk, but didn't give a score.  There isn't anything on the company credit other than a gas card.  Everything's fallen off, over the years.  He is always receiving pre-qualified advertisements from car dealerships. 

Does he stand a good chance of getting a new truck at a reputable dealer, and how might he go about negotiating that?  The last auto loan he took out was with our daughter, who needed a car to get back and forth to the university, 30 something miles away.  He ended up paying over 25 percent interest on it, through Anything On you probably know what, which is highway robbery to be sure! But the car established her credit and improved his.  He needs a truck as his has near 300,000 miles on it now, and is costing in repairs.  (Luckilly, two of our sons are auto mechanics, and one owns his own shop).  He doesn't want to be embarassed by going in to apply, only to be turned down for an autoloan, you know? 

Also, what if one has never had an auto loan but their scores are in the mid 600 range?  Would that factor as a positive or a negative in auto financing.  Thanks for your input.

So you are trying to finance a truck under business credit? 

Your score is not everything. A 650 score may get you an approval, but IMO, previous auto history does more for you than a higher score (in terms of approval not rate). It really depends what else is on your file.
Message 19 of 90
MercyMe
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, Tuscani, for getting back to me.  Yes, he will be trying to finance through the Co. credit; but because he's a sole propietor, they often check his personal credit as well, and then give him the business about his low (personal) scores.  There are no auto loans remaining on the company account, they all fell off.  There are four auto loan histories, in his personal reports.  All paid on time/never late, and paid off. 

And this really is a super post!  See ya on CB, maybe, Tuscani!

Smiley Very Happy
Message 20 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.