cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Refinance Smart?

tag
EyesofTexas

Auto Refinance Smart?

I am currently saving for a house and recently finally cracked the 700 barrier, 707 to be exact. I have only my truck as debt which is 14,000. I have had perfect payment history since I opened it back in Feb. 2009. My payment is 542/month.

I recently opened a checking and savings account with a credit union who pulled my credit as a part of their decision whether or not I could open the account. Once they pulled my credit info they offered me a better interest rate and lower monthly payment.  Its great news but I am concerned that opening a new account with my credit union will affect my credit score negatively. 

I plan on buying a house in April, but do not want to make any mistakes leading up to that can have dire consequences on my credit score.

So to sum it all up, is a auto refinance smart when Im considering buying a house within 6 months?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Auto Refinance Smart?

If your score can handle it, yes, and this is why.  The lower payments will help your DTI, the lower interest rates will help your checkbook.  It's not a new account, it's a refinance.  If it gets flagged in UW, you would just have to explain this.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 8
EyesofTexas

Ok that's great news. One more question. What are you referring to when you say flagged by UW?
Message 3 of 8
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

If your score can handle it, yes, and this is why.  The lower payments will help your DTI, the lower interest rates will help your checkbook.  It's not a new account, it's a refinance.  If it gets flagged in UW, you would just have to explain this.

The Refiance of OPs Auto Loan WILL be a new TL.

Message 4 of 8
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@EyesofTexas wrote:

I am currently saving for a house and recently finally cracked the 700 barrier, 707 to be exact. I have only my truck as debt which is 14,000. I have had perfect payment history since I opened it back in Feb. 2009. My payment is 542/month.

I recently opened a checking and savings account with a credit union who pulled my credit as a part of their decision whether or not I could open the account. Once they pulled my credit info they offered me a better interest rate and lower monthly payment.  Its great news but I am concerned that opening a new account with my credit union will affect my credit score negatively. 

I plan on buying a house in April, but do not want to make any mistakes leading up to that can have dire consequences on my credit score.

So to sum it all up, is a auto refinance smart when Im considering buying a house within 6 months?

DTI ratio with a Refi might help, however, you might wanna think about the terms and how long the Refi will be.  You already had the loan for 45 months and with a Refi you might turn your Truck upside down by extending the life of the Loan(s).

You are thinking about getting mortgage shopping in 6 months.  I assume you have a nice down payment for closing costs etc ready?  To improve your DTI ratio, couldn't you use some of that down payment now to pay down the principle of your Truck and continue to save for your down payment in the next 6 months?

It is not usually advisable to be getting inquires and new credit soo close to mortgage shopping.

Message 5 of 8
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

You have not said what the remaing months, the payment, year or condition is on your truck. +1 to the above refi response. Bottom line what is your objective? Are you too tight on cash flow with all of the payments? Then you would be prudent to reduce your current debt and save some more money towards a rainy day fund and your downpayment. YMMV., just a suggestion.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 6 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@ccnewcc wrote:

@Shogun wrote:

The Refiance of OPs Auto Loan WILL be a new TL.

It will be a new TL, but it will not be taking on new debt.  Like I said before, it would just be a letter of explanation should the UW question it.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 8
EyesofTexas

It was a 72 month loan on a 2009 Tahoe that I bought brand new. The condition of my truck is great. I have a little over 50k miles on it. The reason I'm considering the refinance is it will lower monthly payment. I'm fine with the payments now but with lower monthly payments I could save more monthly and put it towards down payment. I'm worried about making an inquiry so close to going through mortgage process. Hopefully this helps clear up some things and you guys can come to a common agreement. But thank you for all the info.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.