Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average Age of Accounts Drops - I Lost 4 Fico Points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Average Age of Accounts Drops - I Lost 4 Fico Points

My average of accounts drops from 6.7 years to 6.4 years and I lost Fico 4 points. There appears to be a threshold around 6.5 years.

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Average Age of Accounts Drops - I Lose 4 Fico Points

Could it be due to the age of your youngest account? Or did you have an older account drop off?

Message 2 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it's not age of youngest acct because the age of my youngest acct is currently 2 months and the new acct that just reported is 3 months old. It's Jared's/Comenity acct that I opened in October but just reported today.

Message 3 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could be a combination of number of accounts under 2 yrs old (new accounts).

Message 4 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Could be a combination of number of accounts under 2 yrs old (new accounts).

I have 12 accts less than 2 yrs old, I'm not sure 1 more would make a difference.

Message 5 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Average Age of Accounts Drops - I Lost 4 Fico Points

@Anonymous wrote:

My average of accounts drops from 6.7 years to 6.4 years and I lost Fico 4 points. There appears to be a threshold around 6.5 years.

I don't believe a threshold exists there with respect to AAoA.  I would think the inquiry and/or "new account" would have been the cause.  When my AAoA traveled all through the 6 year to 7 year range, I never detected any score gain that I couldn't possibly attribute to something else... inquiries aging, baddies aging, etc.  Simply too many moving parts. 

Message 6 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't believe a threshold exists there with respect to AAoA.  I would think the inquiry and/or "new account" would have been the cause.  When my AAoA traveled all through the 6 year to 7 year range, I never detected any score gain that I couldn't possibly attribute to something else... inquiries aging, baddies aging, etc.  Simply too many moving parts. 

I don't think it's inquiry since the inquiry was in Oct when I applied. I don't think it's new acct since it was 3 month old before it reported. I have accts younger than that on my report.

Message 7 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

Even if it was 3 months old when it reported, it still is a "new account" and the number of accounts opened recently (and number of accounts with balances) can impact FICO score.

The only non-integer AAoA threshold that I've read about is believed to be at 7.8 years; everything else that has been reported has involved crossing whole numbers.

Message 8 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Even if it was 3 months old when it reported, it still is a "new account" and the number of accounts opened recently (and number of accounts with balances) can impact FICO score.

The only non-integer AAoA threshold that I've read about is believed to be at 7.8 years; everything else that has been reported has involved crossing whole numbers.

I've noticed that when when my accts reach 3 months old, I lose the Fico penalty for new accts. I know that it was not acct with balances as the acct reported with a zero balance, which would have helped my score, not hurt it.

I will watch this and see if I gain those points back when my average age reach 6.5 years.

Message 9 of 44
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem though even if you do get the points back at the exact time that you reach a 6.5 year AAoA is that you have many other variables at play. Those new accounts are aging as are your inquiries, so any number of other things could give you a false positive.
Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.