Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average US credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Average US credit score?

Does anyone know what the average US credit score is now? Guessing there has been a decrease as credit limits drop, delinquencies rise, and people using credit more to get by. The last data I can find is from 2007 where the median was 723. Thanks for any info!
Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Re: Average US credit score?

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/AverageStats.aspx

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=myficoprod&message.id=839&query.id=165195#M...

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 4 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I don't know that they re-calculate it.

Seems like there was a thread on this exact subject about three weeks ago. It took off the mean - median - average thing, I flashed back on stats class, and my brain promptly shut down. Smiley Happy

But try a search up above.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 14
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Message 3 of 14
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

http://www.myfico.com/CreditEducation/AverageStats.aspx

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/fico/board/message?board.id=myficoprod&message.id=839&query.id=165195#M...

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the information- found those articles too but wasn't sure how reliable. The earlier thread Moneyzine article is from Experian, but it seems to be from September 2008 so probably the best one out there now!

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

What happened to the other people over age 40? Many of them had to have credit starting around 18-20 years old?

"Length of Credit History"

"In fact, we found that 1 out of 4 consumers had credit histories of 20 years or longer." 

Source - MyFICO Lenth of credit history.

Message Edited by ilovepizza on 10-09-2008 05:06 PM
Message 6 of 14
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What happened to the other people over age 40? Many of them had to have credit starting around 18-20 years old?

"Length of Credit History"

"In fact, we found that 1 out of 4 consumers had credit histories of 20 years or longer." 

Source - MyFICO Lenth of credit history.

Yes and no.  A lot of people will have old accounts that have dropped off, thus reducing the apparent average age.  This might well include mortgages, credit cards from stores that no longer exist, cards unused for a decade etc.

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just throught of that after posting.... First I was thinking about how long they were on file, then realized it was oldest account on file. Thanks.  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
recoverychick
Regular Contributor

Thanks.  Is there a problem with the fico analysis.  My scores were 696, 693 and 696 and I keep getting that "little below average message".  I hope it hasn't gone up again. With a CH13 still showing, it's taken a while to get there. 
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The MEDIAN FICO score is around 720.....the mean is closer to your score because it is easier under the scoring system for lower scores to drown out higher scores due to the larger amount of room at the bottom than at the top.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.