cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BF has only one credit account on his FICO - should we get him a CC immediately?

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: BF has only one credit account on his FICO - should we get him a CC immediately?

@Anonymous wrote:
My score increased when I spent an extra hundred dollars on my neiman Marcus account it didn’t go down it went up 3 points.

Whoops, sorry, my bad! I posted this morning while a plumber was attacking a leaking galvanized pipe with a reciprocating saw --I think it vibrated my brain a little loose. Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 51 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BF has only one credit account on his FICO - should we get him a CC immediately?

nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you have a good brain....
Message 52 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy you said that

Having all revolving accounts at REPORT zero will lower your score.

Hard to swallow

A Balance increase is one of the "triggers" for an Alert- it then spits out the score-

Are you talking about score watch……..K this happens all of the time…

Let me pick this apart.  I need to get an understanding here of what you are saying.….

Hypothetically a person with a score of 850 with multiple types of credit all at a zero balance, according to you their score will decrease.

The score is as it stands, without activity on the account that person should continue to maintain their score, even with non use.

If I try to apply what you are saying in essence is buy a pack of bubble gum on your cc and pay it off you will maintain your score because there is activity

Don’t use it at all and you will be dinged?

I believe what you are pointing to is that little piece of information circulating in the air……about actively using your credit cards in order to receive or maintain a better score. My math teacher told me that he had to use his credit card because someone in a financial institution told him that he needed to use it. My professor was on the money sharp about his money.. I had some doubt about that piece of information but of course I cannot verify this but it’s a hunch that it wasn’t absolutely correct…….

Now first of all look who is saying it………..of course they want you to use their cards and money…..Most of the time I take that type of information with a grain of salt.

So are you saying that you cannot have perfect excellent credit without actively using your accounts? This is hard to swallow and if this is true then people who work hard to not be enslaved to debt will eventually be punished for not staying in the system or actively making purchases to show this behavior.

When this or if this holds true at some point I will have to look at FICO in a different light really and it will definitely have me to revamp my thinking. I would have to say that….I will make it my goal to have zero balance period on my accounts. I don’t care if I use them or not If Fico punishes me for non use then so be it. I will use it because I feel like it not because I am salivating over the few extra points. If I believed this I would be tempted to use 1000 or something plan to pay it off then get hit over the head die and leave my daughter with paying that 1000 dollars…….so its relative……Maybe at this point I’m missing the big picture… We are all looking at the great credit score…but as well we should we all be looking at not only improving our credit scores but focus on to improving a bigger better portfolio.( I understand this is a credit forum)  But we should think of every financial act as an investment into the future with present benefits. At the point of when I see my credit behaviours as excellent which to me means that every single account paid in full period… I call that excellent credit. If Fico does not see it that way then I will definitely revamp my way of thinking of fico. See the American dream is to be successful….and to have good credit be able to get what you want when you want have a nice big fat portfolio and when you die leave your money to your family or charity or both…that is what my dream is….

Everyone should aspire to be debt free....yes you will always have bills electric gas ..etc..but you all know what I'm talking about..... 

I will not let anyone make me feel inadequate or in greed of getting that perfect score for using credit  when I don’t feel the need….

You know what Timothy I don’t agree but while talking this through its possible....

I will tell you that your post have made me realize that in essence my eyes may be on the wrong prize……….

Message Edited by sherry on 01-02-2008 09:37 PM
Message 53 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep- I said it and I have proved it.

I let all the CC report zeroed out in Nov -20 points.

Do not allow me confuse "carrying" a balance with allowing a balance to report to you CR-  I PIF all of my CC's every month and only allow 2 to report a balance to the CRA's.  I do not pay CC interest.

unfortunately- FICO and logic do not go together- not having any REVOLVING credit use/activity will lower your score-

As far as being "Debt Free" I would have to agree with you-
I do put more effort into raising my net-worth than being debt free-
I could be Debt free tommorow if I wanted to.

Message 54 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:

unfortunately- FICO and logic do not go together- not having any REVOLVING credit use/activity will lower your score-

Actually, there is some logic to it.  If you have zero balances on all your revolving TLs, you are not "proving" that you can handle credit.  The system doesn't know if you have a zero balance because you PIF or because you don't charge anything.  You need a recent, consistent history of using your card, generating a balance, paying some or all of it on time, rinse and repeat.

Message 55 of 57
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

masdeocho wrote:

Actually, there is some logic to it.  If you have zero balances on all your revolving TLs, you are not "proving" that you can handle credit.  The system doesn't know if you have a zero balance because you PIF or because you don't charge anything.  You need a recent, consistent history of using your card, generating a balance, paying some or all of it on time, rinse and repeat.

This fits with my mental image of being rewarded for "flirting" with credit use. I could probably extend the idea for what happens when you don't use your credit at all, but I'd probably better not! Smiley Very Happy
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 56 of 57
Von7
Established Member

Hi all...just wanted to give an update.
Got the CC approval for my BF from Bank of America with a credit line of 600.  We've talked about it and he agrees to only utilize 10% until we can increase his scores and thereby increase his CL.  He's also in shock that he has a CC since he thought he would never own one.
Thanks for all the advice.
Message 57 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.