Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bad Debt/Collection still reflected on DTI ratio and as revolving

tag
owlnutS
Established Member

Bad Debt/Collection still reflected on DTI ratio and as revolving

I have an old Capital One account that show as Bad Debt/Colection for status,but also show as revolving and as part of my amount of credit being used. There has been no activity on this since Feb/07.

Should it count against me in so many ways??

Any suggestions, it's already been 5 yrs so I was planning on waiting till it fell off my credit.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Bad Debt/Collection still reflected on DTI ratio and as revolving

Is Capital One reporting a balance?  If so it is affecting your credit utilization ratio mostly the balnce also exceeds your credit limit which is not helping your score either.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 8
owlnutS
Established Member

Yes it still shows a balance.

Message 3 of 8
owlnutS
Established Member

Shows balance,charge off account,closed by credit grantor,last activity Feb.2007.

Show on DTI which puts me at 116% of aval. credit.

Message 4 of 8
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

It should be a closed/charged off account, and should NOT be factored into your open available credit utilization, unless it is an open account that can still be used.

It may state "revolving" as the type of account it WAS....  but its not anymore.

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 8
golo
Frequent Contributor

Interesting,hopefully the gurus here can shed some light on the issue.I have the same situation,as the account is not close and it's been like that since nov 06 and is killing my score.Smiley Frustrated

Message 6 of 8
IOBA
Senior Contributor

owlnutS - the way I understand it, if the balance has not been paid off, Cap one can still report it if they own the debt.   They have every right to close out your account if you didn't pay the balance.

Even though the account is closed, the money is owed and would still be considered in the overall utilization.  Whatever your previous credit limit was on the card would not be factored in with the account closed.

If Cap one SOLD the debt (and they don't usually sell the debt, but will have a company try to collect on their behalf), then they would need to report a zero balance.  Then it doesn't affect your utliization BUT the collection agency might start reporting it.

If you can, call Cap one or just send them a payment.  If you pay if off, they will have to update to a lower balance or a zero balance (if paid off).

Message 7 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

owlnutS - the way I understand it, if the balance has not been paid off, Cap one can still report it if they own the debt.   They have every right to close out your account if you didn't pay the balance.

Even though the account is closed, the money is owed and would still be considered in the overall utilization.  Whatever your previous credit limit was on the card would not be factored in with the account closed.

If Cap one SOLD the debt (and they don't usually sell the debt, but will have a company try to collect on their behalf), then they would need to report a zero balance.  Then it doesn't affect your utliization BUT the collection agency might start reporting it.

If you can, call Cap one or just send them a payment.  If you pay if off, they will have to update to a lower balance or a zero balance (if paid off).

Thats the way I understand it as well.

The benefit of paying off a collection or charge off account, for scoring purposes,  is that it lowers your utilization ratio.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.