Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance decrease and FICO SCORE DROP

tag
ineedcreditbad
Regular Contributor

Balance decrease and FICO SCORE DROP

Is it common for fico score to go down if you pay off balances.

I recently paid of my car loan of 17K and score dropped by 18 points.13 points due to decrease in balance of credit cards.

Thanks

Raj

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: Balance decrease and FICO SCORE DROP

@ineedcreditbad wrote:

Is it common for fico score to go down if you pay off balances.

I recently paid of my car loan of 17K and score dropped by 18 points.13 points due to decrease in balance of credit cards.

Thanks

Raj

It's common when you've changed your mix of credit.  Your car loan is an installment loan.  If that was your only installment loan, then you're now leaving % of FICO that's based on installment loans on the table.  "FICO Scores will consider your mix of credit cards, retail accounts, installment loans, finance company accounts and mortgage loans."  Although, it lists 5 things, I consider it revolving and installment. Your car, mortgage, and student loans are installments. Credit cards and retail accounts are revolving. If you've eliminated your only installment account, then you're leaving all of a possible 85 pts on the table (If you'd be at 850 otherwise).

Anyway, you've basically messed with your mix of credit.  Had you paid off a credit card, your mix of credit would still be the same. But when you pay off an installment account, your mix of credit changes.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.