Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

Balance decrease dropped my score?

Hi All, I have a credit card question. One of credit card balances decreased by 62% which caused a 8 point drop. why would this be?

Regards,

MM

Regular Contributor

Re: Balance decrease dropped my score?

Need more info. is it your only card? what did it report?

AMEX PRG (NPSL) Lowes (10k) CSP (7.2k) AMEX BCE (6k) Cap1 QS (3.5k) Citi DC (2.6K) BofA (2.5K)M&T Bank visa (2k) Discover iT (1800) Slate (1k)
Future Cards Sallie Mae, US Bank Cash+, Freedom
Goal increase CLs by 20k in 2015
Valued Contributor

mmcolorado wrote:

Hi All, I have a credit card question. One of credit card balances decreased by 62% which caused a 8 point drop. why would this be?

Regards,

MM

I just paid off my car loan thast I had for two years and lost 19 points.

It is not my only card. Reported a balance decrease  -8.     Then when i click on the report for details it simply says you have a balance decrease of 62%  

Valued Contributor

mmcolorado wrote:

It is not my only card. Reported a balance decrease  -8.     Then when i click on the report for details it simply says you have a balance decrease of 62%  

Maybe because your available credit went down

[ Edited ]

mmcolorado wrote:

First question is what service is being used to track it?

That said, none of the services including Scorewatch track every change to one's credit report and issue a corresponding score for each update as a result; honestly need a before and after picture of one's credit report as things often get lumped into one update and there may be something else going on.

Paying down a credit card is never ever a bad thing or a negative (as we understand it) unless you wind up paying all of your credit cards such that they report $0 which FICO will ding you on.

Starting Score: EQ 5 561, TU 98 567, EX 2 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 5 693, TU 4 742, EX 2 702, EQ 8 722, TU 8 757, EX 8 737 (5/13/17)
Goal Score:    EQ 5 750, TU 4 750, EX 2 750, EQ 8 800, TU 8 Blah, EX 8 800 (01/01/18)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor

this just happened to me as well it dropped 8 points because my acct balance went from 2000 to 0. and another 6 because my Cl went from 1000 to 4000.

odd but i know in the long run will be better!

Regular Contributor

Honestly, something is real strange going on with myfico and this new monitoring service. Had scorewatch for years and expected results occured. My 

Aug scores were Fioc 08 720   Fico 04  716 from equifax power report. According to simulator if I paid 15,000 of my revolvng debt my 08 score would rise 

to roughly 743. I paid that amount and my score initailly drop 3 points then returned back to 720 with multiple changes on my report. I purchased new 

scores from euifax(fico 04 ) and from myfico figuring new service was just slow. Exact same reports from both sites but my score rose to 736 on Fico 04

and no change at all on Fico 08. Seems like something shady going on with myfico

New Contributor

yea i got an alert of a balance decrease and my experian dropped 15 points because i went from 47 dollars reporting to 35 dollars. I have a total of 3 cards reporting and this is the only one with a balance. however equifax rose by 8 points. Something funny does seem to be going on.

Contributor

Same thing happened to me. I got a score change notice this morning, and what do I see when I log in? My dashboard says "Balance Decrease" and "Usage Decrease"... accompanied by a 26 POINT Equifax drop. I just got a 2X CLI on one of my cards, my overall utilization is around 1%, a late 30 just aged off of another card, causing it to go into positive status, and I LOSE 26 points? Seriously? It went UP 16 points last month, also supposedly due to a balance decrease.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that this garbage is totally made up on the spot. Why am I paying for this?

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.