Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance decrease ended up in 21 point drop

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance decrease ended up in 21 point drop

I'm not sure I understand what happened?  I paid down the balance on one of my cards and ended up with an Experian drop of 21 points?  I know there are many factors that could determine why this happened, but myFico tied the drop to the balance decrease?  Has anyone had this happen recently?  Did you figure out what the reasoning was?  I thought paying down the balances on cards was a good thing?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance decrease ended up in 21 point drop

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure I understand what happened?  I paid down the balance on one of my cards and ended up with an Experian drop of 21 points?  I know there are many factors that could determine why this happened, but myFico tied the drop to the balance decrease?  Has anyone had this happen recently?  Did you figure out what the reasoning was?  I thought paying down the balances on cards was a good thing?

Paying down the balance did not cause the score drop.  It just caused the alert to be issued and something else in your credit file caused the score drop.  

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response Irish!  After this thread was moved to the correct forum - Understanding FICO scoring, I began reading the other threads in the FICO scoring section.  I think I am beginning to understand.  I spend so much time in the credit cards section, I didn't even think to place the question to this thread.

Message 3 of 4
olivegirl
Regular Contributor

Paid down my balances and my scores dropped, then they rebounded...hope this helps

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.