cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance decreases and so does score?

tag
diann744

Balance decreases and so does score?

The balance on one of my cards went from $399 to $0 and my score dropped 32 points?!  Seriously?  Can someone help shed light on why this might possibly be?

I pay off EVERYTHING, EVERY month before the due date.  This month, I paid before the billing cycle hit.  Why can my score drop so far simply because I now have a zero balance?

I'd love some guidance here.

Thanks

D

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

Re: Balance decreases and so does score?

FICO will ding you 20 points for all credit reports reporting zero.  It is well known here and discussed in thousands of posts.

Let $5 report on one card and then pay it by the due date.  Problem solved.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep Ch-7 is spot on when I let my accounts report zero balances I always get dinged. It really will not matter unless you are appling for a credit product though. 

Message 3 of 6
diann744

Really?  Wow, I've been monitoring for years and never saw that.  Zero balances are quite the norm for me.  Thanks so much for the tip; I'll definitely do that from now on.  Ouch!  My score generally goes up and down between 2 and 8 points with no rhyme or reason but I've never seen 32 in either direction!  Freaked me out.  Is it something to do with the new FICIO 9 scoring?

I appreciate your help!

Message 4 of 6
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

@diann744 wrote:

Really?  Wow, I've been monitoring for years and never saw that.  Zero balances are quite the norm for me.  Thanks so much for the tip; I'll definitely do that from now on.  Ouch!  My score generally goes up and down between 2 and 8 points with no rhyme or reason but I've never seen 32 in either direction!  Freaked me out.  Is it something to do with the new FICIO 9 scoring?

I appreciate your help!

The problem goes away the second another one of your cards reports even a $2 balance.  You don't have to wait a whole month unless you only have one card.

Where people get totally **bleep**ed is when they are getting ready for a mortgage or a car loan and pay all cards down to zero thinking they are maximizing their scores only to find out they got royally screwed with a 20 or 30 point drop in FICO scores.

It's the same thing that happens when you pay off an installment loan -- car, student loan, share secured.  Scores usually drop 20 points for "doing a good thing"

FICO isn't designed to reward consumers, it is designed to make scienticially valid predictions based on millions and millions of profiles.

Sucks, I know, but once you know the game, you won't make the mistake again.

The all cards reporting a zero balance is the easiest of all things to fix.  Don't sweat it but do understand it.

Message 5 of 6
diann744

I'm not looking for new credit or applying for anything but I've brought my rating up from an abysmal low of 540 (10 years ago) to 834.  I play it like a video game, for (internal) bragging rights.  Today's drop was an ego blow.  I feel like I need to stay up all night honing my mad FICO skills.  :-)

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.