Citibank  2474 19060 13% 0 0%
Bank of America  "Card B' 0 26800 0% 0 0%
27851 162760 17% 18128 11%
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: % Balance to % of Credit Limit for Score Increases

Chances are they ARE-

What Utilization does your myFICO report show?

You need to set up an LLC- so you are running this all though your personal credit-

RealtorGal wrote:
This brings up another question. I have 4 HELOCs with limits and balances below $50,000.  I did not think that they counted HELOCs like they do credit cards.  I thought they counted like regular mortgages.  They are all maxed out because I just bought the houses recently doing 80% firsts and 10% second mortgages.  I paid $1,000 off of each loan so that they would never go over their limits.  Are they what is counting against me?  I can't possibly pay those down.

The worst thing is that two of the properties are in declining markets and they froze the credit lines.  Every time I make a payment, they reduce the credit line so I will never not be maxed out.

Thoughts?

Am I fighting an upstream battle?

Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

DOH-
Need to get that overall- UTL under 10% 
That is more important than the individual UTL-

Good thing you have that LOC- zero all of these out!!!!!!!!!!!

Timothy wrote:
If the B of A CL did not exist-

Here is what I would do-

Bal CL utl% New bal New %
American Express Blue 4050 12600 32% 2200 17%
Bank of America  ' Card A'  8996 30000 30% 5000 17%
Wells Fargo  3058 17000 18% 3058 18%
Chase 4553 27300 17% 4553 17%
Discover  3317 20000 17% 3317 17%
FNANB  1403 10000 14% 0 0%
Citibank  2474 19060 13% 0 0%
Bank of America  "Card B' 0 26800 0% 0 0%
27851 162760 17% 18128 11%

Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy - This is exactly what I was looking for - thank you!  I just called B of A and they said that it takes 4-6 days for the transfer to go through so I am going to begin working on your above scenario now with what I had budgeted from my checking account.  Then I can pay the rest off when they B of A transfer hits.  I need the score to go up as quickly as possible as I am trying to close on my investment properties in about two weeks.

Any rhyme or reason as to when the companies report to the bureaus - weekly, monthly, etc.?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING.  YOU HAVE PROBABLY HELPED SAVE ME THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TONIGHT!
Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Almost everyone reports the statement balance on the statement date- or close to it

My Amex used to report a month behind- but now reports STATEMENT balances at the end of the month-

I will email you the bill Smiley Wink

RealtorGal wrote:
Timothy - This is exactly what I was looking for - thank you!  I just called B of A and they said that it takes 4-6 days for the transfer to go through so I am going to begin working on your above scenario now with what I had budgeted from my checking account.  Then I can pay the rest off when they B of A transfer hits.  I need the score to go up as quickly as possible as I am trying to close on my investment properties in about two weeks.

Any rhyme or reason as to when the companies report to the bureaus - weekly, monthly, etc.?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING.  YOU HAVE PROBABLY HELPED SAVE ME THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS TONIGHT!

Message Edited by Timothy on 05-28-2008 06:05 PM
Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I just made major payments to 5 of the accounts and will wait for the B of A advance to come through.  I have another question though.  A few years ago, I took out a 0% interest for 12 month line of credit with CitiFinancial for $20,000 for a top of the line hot tub (yeah, I know, I know...but I get A LOT of enjoyment out of it).  Anyway, I paid it off in 11 months and 29 days Smiley Happy, however I left the account open with a zero balance figuring that it would probably help my credit score because of the high credit limit and the zero balance (APR is so high I would never use it again).  So I figured that it helps with my overall % use of my credit.

When the credit agencies list reasons that score might be lower, they mention that I have a consumer finance account.  I don't see why that should hurt my score.  I know a lot of people default on those, but I never have and, in fact, I don't even use the account.  It is four years old so it helps with the age of my account history.  I do have accounts that are open longer, however I hate to close it.

How much do you think that affects my score?  Should I close it despite the 20k of extra credit it gives me?

And how much do you think those maxed out HELOCS affect my score?

Thank You Much.
Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it was a CFL- it would be installment not revolving-

So it must be some other account putting up the CFL flag-

It is impossible for me to even guess on the HELOC's-
Take a close look on the EQ report from myFICO to see your positive and negative factors-

I am curious how your revolving utilization is shown-  

RealtorGal wrote:
Okay, I just made major payments to 5 of the accounts and will wait for the B of A advance to come through.  I have another question though.  A few years ago, I took out a 0% interest for 12 month line of credit with CitiFinancial for $20,000 for a top of the line hot tub (yeah, I know, I know...but I get A LOT of enjoyment out of it).  Anyway, I paid it off in 11 months and 29 days Smiley Happy, however I left the account open with a zero balance figuring that it would probably help my credit score because of the high credit limit and the zero balance (APR is so high I would never use it again).  So I figured that it helps with my overall % use of my credit.

When the credit agencies list reasons that score might be lower, they mention that I have a consumer finance account.  I don't see why that should hurt my score.  I know a lot of people default on those, but I never have and, in fact, I don't even use the account.  It is four years old so it helps with the age of my account history.  I do have accounts that are open longer, however I hate to close it.

How much do you think that affects my score?  Should I close it despite the 20k of extra credit it gives me?

And how much do you think those maxed out HELOCS affect my score?

Thank You Much.

Message 27 of 30
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Sounds to me like the hot tub financing was installment, not revolving, and RealtorGal just paid it off early. I had a CFL from Wells Fargo Financial that I paid off early, within eleven months, and it still shows open as well. RG, did you have a regular payment schedule, and you just paid a lot more than the monthly amounts?

Anyway, like Timothy said, check your reported util and let us know what it shows. On your FICO reports, it's probably going to appear on at least one of them on the second screen (Understanding Your FICO Score) as either a positive or negative. Also, if you have your full report directly from Equifax (the one that shows the soft inqs, etc.), you'll see it there.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

The report is at my office, I'll have to check. Taking the day off today - will let you know how that CFL is reporting tomorrow. Thanks again for all of your help.
Message 29 of 30
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Realtorgal, regarding your question pertaining to HELOCs, I quote from the Credit Education posts  made by FairIsaac (tab, top of this page), and more speciifically in the FICO webinar of 11/23/07 :

"While HELOCs are typically shown as "revolving" accounts in your CR, the FICO scoring algorithm considers such debt in the same way as it looks at mortgage (installment) debt, meaning that being maxed out on a HELOC should not affect your score by muchl, if at all."

Message Edited by RobertEG on 05-29-2008 08:41 PM
Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.