Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer should help my score?

tag
ShinBeats
New Contributor

Balance transfer should help my score?

Okay, so here's the situation.
I am transferring balances from maxed out cards to a NEW NFCU card. The inquiry already hit (this one only makes 4th for the year,) and didn't impact my score at all. The balance of the cards are $970/1000, and $568/1250

The NFCU card will have a limit of $4,000.

Shouldn't this help with my utilization and increase my score?

09/26/2010
EQ: 634

08/28/2014
EQ: 652
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Balance transfer should help my score?

Probably will, over under maybe 15 points for airstriking the maxxed out cards if you're around that 650ish score still but a lot depends what else is in your file and what your currently reported balances are when it comes to aggregate utilization and whether or not you'll take an AAOA hit.

        
Message 2 of 4
ShinBeats
New Contributor

Yeah the AAOA was what I was most worried about. I have 3 new accounts this year so far. (Barclay, Amazon, Discover,) and the NFCU account would be the fourth. So I guess we'll have to wait and see. Really hope for an increase.

09/26/2010
EQ: 634

08/28/2014
EQ: 652
Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@ShinBeats wrote:

Yeah the AAOA was what I was most worried about. I have 3 new accounts this year so far. (Barclay, Amazon, Discover,) and the NFCU account would be the fourth. So I guess we'll have to wait and see. Really hope for an increase.

It sounds like you have a fairly short report (like me in that regard): unless you were at 2 years AAOA or higher anyway, it won't matter: everything below that mark is rounded to 1 year by FICO calculation.

AAOA doesn't mean much for the first couple of years building, once you hit that 2 year mark which is arguably (maybe unarguably, diminishing returns for longer AAOA values and benefit) the most important AAOA benchmark then it becomes more of a concern on the scorecard.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.