cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank FICO 50 Points Higher Than myFICO

tag

Bank FICO 50 Points Higher Than myFICO

Hi, I received a pleasant surprise at Wells Fargo recently. After reading these forums, I decided to take out a small personal installment loan to raise my FICO score. When the banker brought my paperwork over she informed me my loan was approved at their best rate, one of the reasons being a credit score near 760. According to myFICO, my Experian score usually hovers around 710. That's a 50 point difference (in a positive direction!) which I appreciate but is a bit puzzling. The paperwork from WF said they used the Experian/Fair Isaac Risk Model Version 2, which I believe is older than FICO '08 model used by myFICO. It seems odd that an older formula would be more generous with the scoring... Have many others experienced this unanticipated positive swing going from myFICO to a FICO score reported by the bank?

By the way, the process of getting a personal installment loan at Wells Fargo is really streamlined. You apply online and then go into the bank to sign the paperwork. They inform you quickly whether you get the loan or not by email. Overall a painless process, am waiting now to see how the installment loan affects my score.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: Bank FICO 50 Points Higher Than myFCIO

The score Wells Fargo used is non FICO score.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 8

The paperwork states "Score Model: Experian/Fair Isaac Risk Model Version 2". According to other posts on this board, that is the name for FICO 98.

Message 3 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Your right for some reason i didnt read Fair Isaac part. Experian does have there own risk score as well.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same thing yesterday. I applied for a small loan for personal use and surprise came back to me with a 714 score.  My fico score for Experian was 630, I ask what score they are using I was told its FICO score but not sure which model because I didnt see the paper work yet.

I was fully surprise and very happy what ever model they're using.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank FICO 50 Points Higher Than myFICO

Ex-98 is very forgiving of balances on only one revolving line and length of credit history. Both of my EQ and Tu 04's and Ex 98 scores are all 15+ points better than my 08.
Message 6 of 8
reneasworld
Regular Contributor

@jonathonDenver wrote:

Hi, I received a pleasant surprise at Wells Fargo recently. After reading these forums, I decided to take out a small personal installment loan to raise my FICO score. When the banker brought my paperwork over she informed me my loan was approved at their best rate, one of the reasons being a credit score near 760. According to myFICO, my Experian score usually hovers around 710. That's a 50 point difference (in a positive direction!) which I appreciate but is a bit puzzling. The paperwork from WF said they used the Experian/Fair Isaac Risk Model Version 2, which I believe is older than FICO '08 model used by myFICO. It seems odd that an older formula would be more generous with the scoring... Have many others experienced this unanticipated positive swing going from myFICO to a FICO score reported by the bank?

By the way, the process of getting a personal installment loan at Wells Fargo is really streamlined. You apply online and then go into the bank to sign the paperwork. They inform you quickly whether you get the loan or not by email. Overall a painless process, am waiting now to see how the installment loan affects my score.

I have been considering this option also to mix up my credit report. May I ask how much you did it for? Would someone suggest something at least over $2,000 or?

Starting Scores (5/2014): EQ 569, TU 601, EX 589
Current Scores (07/08/2015): EQ 640, TU 640, EX 654
Goal (12/2015): 700 across the board
Message 7 of 8

@reneasworld wrote:

@jonathonDenver wrote:

I have been considering this option also to mix up my credit report. May I ask how much you did it for? Would someone suggest something at least over $2,000 or?

Hi, the minimum amount for a personal installment loan from Wells Fargo is $3000. Hope that helps.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.