Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy and High Score?

tag
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

Bankruptcy and High Score?

maybe someone can explain to me why it is possible for some with bankruptcy to have a higher score than someone who hasn't filed bankrupcty but has a few derogs? granted manual review will always be a factor but this seems backwards. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Nwhit04
New Visitor

Re: Bankruptcy and High Score?

In my opinion, because some have filed bankruptcy they have cleared the more derogatory marks to have just 1 Mark and depending on how the creditors look at the bankruptcy is why they will be considered for credit.
Message 2 of 4
CreditDrama85
Established Contributor

i guess i can see that as an explanation. a BK is one major derog as opposed to scattered derogs on a report

Message 3 of 4
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

A factor that needs to be considered is when the derogatory information occured. If the backruptcy occured 8 years ago on one report and the other report has account an account currently late place a recent collection then yes the score for the BK report could be higher. FICO also considers when the derogatory information occured.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.