Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bankruptcy risk score

tag
CreditBob
Established Contributor

Bankruptcy risk score

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/bankruptcy/20060116a1.asp  I would like all my co-members to click on this site and then ask MYFICO, WHY ON EARTH ARE YOU KEEPING THIS INFORMATION FROM EVERYONE??????  I guess as time goes on we learn more. When all of you read this article you will see that it is another factor that the credit industry uses on consumers to see if you will get that loan or credit card.    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/06/vantagescore.html  Watch the bankruptcy risk score video on this. Scroll down the page a little along with the video on universal default.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bankruptcy risk score

Sounds weird to me.  I've been doing mortgage loans for years and have never once seen a "bankruptcy risk score."

Either way, I'd assume having a BK at 2 years ago would keep my risk score LOW since I legally can't file again for a while even if I want to!
Message 2 of 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Tis True... While most people are aware that their credit score can have a large impact on their financial lives, there is another score that the credit bureaus keep that most people are not aware of - your Bankruptcy Risk Score

Your credit score is made up mostly of your history of obtaining credit and paying off debt. This score helps determine what type of interest rate you receive on credit cards or loans that you apply for. Most people assume that it is this score alone is used by the financial institutions considering whether or not to give you a loan. The truth is that a bankruptcy risk score is now being used more and more when lending institutions are looking at a person's credit history.

The bankruptcy risk score has been around for about 20 years, but has been kept fairly hush - hush. It measures how likely a person is to file bankruptcy and uses information that makes it more specific than a credit risk score. The bankruptcy risk score is exclusively for lenders provided by the credit reporting agencies.

This bankruptcy score is supposedly a complex mix of your credit score plus your spending habits. The credit agencies and those that use this report (and have contributed to creating it) don't want to reveal the model because they spend a lot of time and money developing it and if they explain it, they are giving away part of it's value. Therefore little is said about this report (and why you have never likely heard of it before).

You may be able to learn a bit more about it in the near future. Experian is considering making its bankruptcy risk score available to consumers. This is after they revealed a study last July which ranked the states that had consumers who were most likely to file for bankruptcy within the next year.

Experts say that many of the same things which improve your credit score also improve your bankruptcy risk score. That includes paying your bills on time and not over applying for credit.

The bankruptcy risk report is usually used in conjunction with the credit score when a consumer gives their bank permission to pull their credit report for a new loan application, a bank card or a credit card. It is also used during account reviews to help determine whether to increase a consumer's credit limit.

Insiders say that the bankruptcy score is scored the opposite of your credit score. For your credit score, the higher the number, the better with 850 being the best. For the bankruptcy risk score, your want the lowest number possible. In fact, the score actually goes into negative numbers and can goes to approximately 2000.

News about this bankruptcy risk score is leaking out slowly so if you are one that keeps a close eye on your credit score, it would pay to keep close attention to the news for more information about this score emerging in the months ahead.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I call horsepoop on the credibility of this score.

If 87 percent of personal BKs cite one or more of the Big Three of BK (job loss, family breakup, medical debt) then there ain't no way in Gehenna anyone short of the NSA and the CIA could figure out one's BK risk--even then I ain't bettin' on the feds.

Among the remaining 13 percent are crime victimization, natural disaster and bad investments.

If any sort of reliability can be shown out of a BK score, then the folks doing BK risks need to talk with a group of folks in Arlington and another group of folks in Langley. They're looking for a risk score that will predict the future location of a guy named Osama.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noah_Bodie wrote:

If 87 percent of personal BKs cite one or more of the Big Three of BK (job loss, family breakup, medical debt) then there ain't no way in Gehenna anyone short of the NSA and the CIA could figure out one's BK risk--even then I ain't bettin' on the feds.

Among the remaining 13 percent are crime victimization, natural disaster and bad investments.

If any sort of reliability can be shown out of a BK score, then the folks doing BK risks need to talk with a group of folks in Arlington and another group of folks in Langley. They're looking for a risk score that will predict the future location of a guy named Osama.

Smiley Very HappyThat I agree with NB. The score only claims to create the profile based on your payment history and other factors in your credit reports.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did I read correctly in this article?

"The Experian credit agency became the first to start selling its new "VantageScore" credit scoring system this week."

Experian and Vantage? Doesn't Vantage belong to TU?
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

ilovepizza wrote:
Did I read correctly in this article?

"The Experian credit agency became the first to start selling its new "VantageScore" credit scoring system this week."

Experian and Vantage? Doesn't Vantage belong to TU?

Supposedly the Vantage score will eventually be offered on all three bureaus.

Message 7 of 8
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Noah_Bodie wrote:

I can assure you that this BK score is real. Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.