Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays CLD Impact

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Barclays CLD Impact

I was surprised to see my line from Barclay's cut from 3900 to 2750.  The card is still not maxed out, but it's gotten pushed higher in util because of this...as has overall util.  Understanding that there are many factors, what sort of impact does a CLD like that have on your credit score in and of itself?  It represents a small portion of my total overall credit line, but still it's disconcerting, especially since I have a home purchase on my radar.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclays CLD Impact

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

I was surprised to see my line from Barclay's cut from 3900 to 2750.  The card is still not maxed out, but it's gotten pushed higher in util because of this...as has overall util.  Understanding that there are many factors, what sort of impact does a CLD like that have on your credit score in and of itself?  It represents a small portion of my total overall credit line, but still it's disconcerting, especially since I have a home purchase on my radar.

You don't say what your balance is but if any single card shows a very high utilization (like over 75%) then it can cause a pretty significant temporary drop in your scores until you pay it down 

Message 2 of 5
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Hi,

Balance was a little over 2k. I certainly get that my score will take a hit because the util went up. I guess I'm more asking if there is anything extra stinging about having a limit lowered... like does a CLD in and of itself on one card trigger a red flag for other lenders?

From what I read this is relatively common with barclay. Are there other creditors that are more likely to do things like this?
Message 3 of 5
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

It can sometimes lead to a sort of domino effect if you have read other cards with higher balances then the CLD from Barclays could make other lenders follow suit but if the only high balance you have is wirh Barclays then I wouldn't worry about that , this is a known tactic of them, they maybe balance chasing you which would keep you in a steady high UTI range , they would keep CLDing you every time you pay your balance down . How long have you carried this balance for ?
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great questions so far.  I'll recap them and add a few more:

(1)  How much was the balance?

You indicate a little over $2000.  Can you be a little more specific?  If it was under $2261, that's helpful to know.  It means the individual util was greater than 51% but less than 59%.

(2)  How long had you been carrying this balance?

(3)  Had the reported balance been generally increasing?  (E.g. $1500, $1700, $1900, $2100?)

(4)  What has your total utilization been like in the last few months?   Had this been generally going up?

(5)  On this card, did you ever make only the minimum payment (or very close to the minimum) in the last four months?  Twelve months?

(6)  This is your only card with Barclays, right?

(7)  Have you kept all other cards at < 49% individual utilization for the last four months?  If not, can you give more details?  (E.g. how many were at 50% or higher?)

The answer about the CLD is that the CLD in itself does not affect your FICO score.  The increase in individual utilization and total utilization will affect it, but FICO 8 has no ability to detect the recent occurence of a CLD.  That belongs to a comparatively new kind of data in your report, called trended data.  Even FICO 9 does not use trended data, though FICO 10 very well may, and individual lenders may be purchasing specialized products that look at trended data.

As far as practical steps, I'd advise making significantly more than the minimum payment on every card and throwing as much money at the Braclays card until the CLDs have stopped for a solid while.  In the best world, you'd be paying off all CC debt in preparation for your home purchase, but that may not be realistic for you.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.