Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being Added as An AU

tag
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

Being Added as An AU

So recently I was added to my grandfathers Capital One card which has been open for almost 12 Years with a 4.6K limit and 0 balance.  Just wondering how much of a point increase will I see from this?

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Being Added as An AU

The answer to that question depends on what your credit reports look like now.  The answer can vary between none at all and potentially a lot.

Message 2 of 7
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

not much in my expierence.

creditors know you are not making the payments, so...

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 7
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

From my experience a big part of it depends on whether your reports are dirty or clean.
Message 4 of 7
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

rmduhon wrote:
From my experience a big part of it depends on whether your reports are dirty or clean.

Super Clean, No negs at all. Just a ton of inqs (ughhh) and high balances. 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 50K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K
@ 1.74
Message 5 of 7
Gmood1
Super Contributor

IME it will be noticeable. No way to know the points exactly. As others have said it varies depending on your file. It certainly won't hurt.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's two practical examples to help you understand why it could help you a lot or not at all.

EXAMPLE 1: You have a very young and very thin account.

*  You have exactly one account, which is only six months old.

*  By being added as an AU to that card, your Age of Oldest Account will go from 6 months to almost 12 years.

*  And your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts) will go from 6 months to just a bit over 6 years.

Expect a lot of help.

EXAMPLE 2.  You have a fairly old and thick account.

*  You have 10 accounts, your Age of Oldest account is 13 years and your AAoA is 8.

*  By being added as an AU to that card, your Age of Oldest Account will not increase at all.

*  Your AAoA will be from 8.0 to 8.3 or so  

Expect no help.

If you gave people a bunch of information about your profile, they might be able to make guesses.  But why do that?  Why not instead wait until it reports and then look at your scores.  Then you'll know.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.