Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being added as a Co-applicant

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being added as a Co-applicant

My fico score is in the very-low 600 range since I am just starting to rebuild my credit.  How much can I expect my fico to go up (immediately?) by being a co-applicant on a new card ($15k limit if that is relevant) with someone who has a score in the high 700s.. 780 perhaps.  Also, as time goes on can I expect it to go up more assuming a low usage level but all payments are made on time??  Anyone out there who actually knows or has experience in this realm?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Being added as a Co-applicant

@Anonymous wrote:

My fico score is in the very-low 600 range since I am just starting to rebuild my credit.  How much can I expect my fico to go up (immediately?) by being a co-applicant on a new card ($15k limit if that is relevant) with someone who has a score in the high 700s.. 780 perhaps.  Also, as time goes on can I expect it to go up more assuming a low usage level but all payments are made on time??  Anyone out there who actually knows or has experience in this realm?  Thanks!

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Are you talking about a joint account or being added as an authorized user? I think most here would advise against a joint account because you will be equally responsible for all charges if the co-owner defaults. As an AU you will have access to the account but have none of the responsibility for repayment.

For a new card your score will not go up immediately and in fact may temporarily decrease because of the new inquiry and a new credit account showing in your file. Also it will likely lower your AAoA (Average Age of Accounts).

Being added as an AU can help you IF the account is older than any of yours, IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. You will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south your credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response!  For this example assume (and I do know the saying about it being the mother) that it is a joint account, the primary account holder does not default and all payments are prompt and in full. 

Cheers-

Murph

Message 3 of 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the response!  For this example assume (and I do know the saying about it being the mother) that it is a joint account, the primary account holder does not default and all payments are prompt and in full. 

Cheers-

Murph

In this scenario it still won't help right away. It will be considered a new account for a year and then it just has to age. Payment history (35% of total score) and length of credit history (15%) are two factors in a FICO score that can't be sped up.

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Credit Problems Which Is Worse?
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 4 of 5
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This would likely only give you a score bump if you have no revolving credit. It might help you if it's your only revolving line. Otherwise, as said above, the account has to age a bit to help you.

You will get the same score effect whether you are an authorized user (AU) or a joint applicant. If you have a choice, being an AU is safer for you.

Very low usage is a must if it is to help you, as are (of course) on time payments. The credit score of the other applicant makes no difference to your situation.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.