cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being added as an authorized user - Help Credit?

tag
BSBRose21
Contributor

Being added as an authorized user - Help Credit?

My Father has said I can be added as an authorized user on his Capital One credit card to help boost my score. He has had it for 5 plus years.  When it reports on my credit report, will it report only the months I am an authorize user or the whole history of the account?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Being added as an authorized user - Help Credit?

@BSBRose21 wrote:

My Father has said I can be added as an authorized user on his Capital One credit card to help boost my score. He has had it for 5 plus years.  When it reports on my credit report, will it report only the months I am an authorize user or the whole history of the account?

For Capital One likely the entire history.

Amex is the only one I know of which only reports from when the AU (ACM) is added, and that's because the tradeline is individual to the ACM.

        
Message 2 of 4
BSBRose21
Contributor

How much do you think it would help my score? 

Right now there is only one year of history on my mortgage, no revolving accounts at all, and two collection accounts

Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Hard to say as it's dependent what your current score is (guessing 620ish?), but probably quite a bit: wouldn't surprise me if it jumped 50ish points but that's a SWAG and it very much depends when those collections occurred.  It also depends on how the tradeline reports, it'll be smaller or larger depending on the utilization of it, and I'm making the blase assumption that he's never been late on a payment.

That said, the AU might not be recognized under FICO '08 or may be ignored by lender underwriting: go and get your own CC's after it reports.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.