Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being removed from AU account

tag
Poppa
Established Contributor

Being removed from AU account

Does an authorized user account stay on your report 10 years as closed once you've been removed from it? 

If so does it affect AAoA once removed?

FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Being removed from AU account

@Poppa wrote:

Does an authorized user account stay on your report 10 years as closed once you've been removed from it? 

No, typically if you are removed from an AU the tradeline is deleted though some lenders may have a reporting idiosyncracy on that one.   Other than maybe Amex they will not report as closed, and as a result it will affect your AAOA assuming the AU is being counted at all.

        
Message 2 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Poppa wrote:

No, typically if you are removed from an AU the tradeline is deleted though some lenders may have a reporting idiosyncracy on that one.   Other than maybe Amex they will not report as closed, and as a result it will affect your AAOA assuming the AU is being counted at all.

+1 

From what I've known, it is deleted if you're removed in most cases.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 6
Poppa
Established Contributor

Good news. There is an issue with a 5 month old credit profile being added as an AU on a card while at the same time opening a new credit card of their own.The hope was being removed from the AU acct would raise AAoA back to where it was before.  

FICO SCORE 08 - TU 810 - EX 807

12/15 - First Tradeline - 12/17 - 800 Credit Score - 3/18 - Homeowner
Message 4 of 6
yapsalot
Regular Contributor

Poppa,

I was an authorized user for a family member's accounts for several years during the last decade. Multiple Chase, Bank of America and CitiBank accounts. I removed myself as an authorized user several years ago and all of the accounts continue to be reported to all three of my credit bureau reports. I am guessing they will drop off about 10 years after I was removed as an authorized user --- similarly to the way individual accounts tend to drop off after about 10 years from the date closed, but I can't say for sure.

As far as the effect of authorized user accounts on AAofA, mine are not included in the AAofA reported by MyFico and Experian's Credit Check Total. I can say this with certainty because I have calculated my AAofA from the actual account data found on the three bureau reports from both MyFico and Credit Check Total using an Excel spreadsheet and compared those calculated values to the AAofA reported by MyFico and Credit Check Total and the results align up perfectly to demonstrate that the authorized user accounts are not included in AAofA.

In case you want to test your own data, here is a link to the spreadsheet:

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~lemay/future-AAoA.xlsx

The spreadsheet was created by one of our forum members: TheManWhoCan.

I don't know if the link will come through on this post and I don't know how to link to it. If the spreadsheet link doesn't come through on this post, you can find it by doing a search for TheManWhoCan's posts or checking the thread where he posted it: Adding An Installment Loan - The Secure Share Technique on May 14, 2016 in the section called Understanding FICO Scoring.

Yapsalot
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The Metro 2 format stores the type of responsibility under a code called the ECOA code, which provides for

1. Individual

The consumer has contractual responsibility fo the account

2. Joint

Joint account for which this consumer has responsibility

3. Maker

Account for which the consumer has co-signed

4. Authorized User

The consumer does not have contractual responsibility for the account

5. Association with Account Terminated

6. Consumer Deceased

When the AU status is terminated, update of the ECOA code should remove it from scoring.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.