Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Super Contributor

Re: Best CC Utilization Strategy

creditmaze wrote:
As far as Cap 1 goes I pre qualify for the Quicksilver One, Platinum and even the Venture lol. However a hard pull would blow me out of the water.

Also I'm quite aware how jealous Barclay's is so I don't want to apply for anymore cards at this time.

How would a HP "blow you out of the water"?

The two cards you have are fine for starting out, and it sounds like you don't have the Barclay card in hand yet, so you may want to wait.

But Capital One is an excellent CCC. Much less jealous than Barclay, much less stressful than Barclay.

The horror stories about Barclay are indeed out there, but they tend to be applied to folks who had a lot more cards added to their wallet, or they got up to a high CL and then stopped using the card so Barclay CLD them. Barclay is just managing their risk, there's nothing wrong with that, it just can be annoying and stressful to wonder if they will manage your account.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727 FICO Simulator 2014: $20k balances = 812 FICO.
March 2017 $20k on $300k 6% util EQ 824 TU 824 EX 815

11 / 24 counting down to 1 Nov 2017
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I meant I believe I would be denied Cap 1.
Senior Contributor

creditmaze wrote:

What makes you think that?  Capital One is known to be more forgiving when it comes to weaker profiles than some other creditors.  Where do your scores currently stand?  It also depends what CO product you are looking at.  Platinum is pretty easy for most to get with a score around 600, then the rewards cards are of course a bit more of a challenge and scores closer to 700 are recommended in general.

Super Contributor

BrutalBodyShots wrote:

creditmaze wrote:

What makes you think that?  Capital One is known to be more forgiving when it comes to weaker profiles than some other creditors.  Where do your scores currently stand?  It also depends what CO product you are looking at.  Platinum is pretty easy for most to get with a score around 600, then the rewards cards are of course a bit more of a challenge and scores closer to 700 are recommended in general.

Yes, Capital One is an excellent base to build your credit history. The triple pull is worth it. As you build history with CO, there likely will be CLI, and when those stop (because the card hits a ceiling for your particular app) then you app for a better Capital One card and can be pleasantly surprised by the higher starting credit line on that card.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727 FICO Simulator 2014: $20k balances = 812 FICO.
March 2017 $20k on $300k 6% util EQ 824 TU 824 EX 815

11 / 24 counting down to 1 Nov 2017
Regular Contributor

I have reporting on EX that a paid CO was 180-days late "21" times. The last late is less than two years old.
Senior Contributor

21 times as in once it reached 180 days late it continued to be late and remain unpaid for a year to year and a half after?

Regular Contributor

No but without going into personal circumstance detail, we had problems with the water authority and it ended up in the hands of revenue and recovery. We were put on a payment plan and we completed it and that is why it's a paid CO. This is why after long careful consideration I applied with Barclays because they pull TU.
Regular Contributor

Fico 8 scores: TU 679, EX 680 and EQ 681. Also waiting for dismissed BR to fall off EQ in May.
Senior Contributor

creditmaze wrote:
No but without going into personal circumstance detail, we had problems with the water authority and it ended up in the hands of revenue and recovery. We were put on a payment plan and we completed it and that is why it's a paid CO. This is why after long careful consideration I applied with Barclays because they pull TU.

I would put some work in on trying to get that account deleted from your report.  It would help your profile a lot, as well as your scores.

Regular Contributor

Have tried and they won't budge. I refuse to poke the bear with them because it may make it worst. Have researched them here online and read how it made it worst for the person. It ages all off my report in 2019. It is what is.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.