Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to pay down cards?

tag
Brianinpa18330grh
Valued Member

Best way to pay down cards?

I am going to pay off about 80% of my credit cards. Thinking of a score increase only, should I pay off some in full and leave high balances on some or should I pay them all so they are under 35% each? Do they just look at uti as a whole or on each account? Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
thrasher865
Valued Contributor

Re: Best way to pay down cards?

We would need more specific information to be certain, such as limits and balances of each card and how much $$$ you have to pay them down.

However, in a general sense, here is what I would assume to be most beneficial, and of course, speaking SOLELY in the sense of FICO score increase, and not your financial well-being:

Pay off your cards in order of lowest balance, so as to pay off the most number of cards, then pay whatever is remaining down on your highest limit/highest balance card.

Starting Score: EQ: 665 - TU: 687
Current Score: EQ: 749 - TU: ---
Goal Score: EQ: 760 - TU: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

+1

Message 3 of 4
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

Thrasher has it right with more information needed to really help - but to answer your question, FICO scoring looks at overall uti AND individual.  So what is usually recommended: get all accounts below 50% and pay off as many as possible. 

If you want to post the cards, amounts, credit limit, and APR we can help out more.

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.