cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to PIF before or after statement cuts?

tag
skorpyo3
Frequent Contributor

Better to PIF before or after statement cuts?

What's better for Fico? Does it matter? I don't want a balance to show on my cards as I PIF each month before statement cuts. Looks look my high balances are still posting, so that's good. Thanks for any input.
|EQ 698|TU 674|EX 665| BK discharged 11/2012

[Amex PRG No PSL] [Cap 1 QS Visa Sig $50,000] [Barclaycard CashForward WMC $25,000] [Patelco CU MC $20,000] [BofA Cash Rewards Visa Sig $15,000] [Amex BCE $13,000] [Discover It Cashback $13,500] [US Bank Cash + Visa Sig $10,000][US Bank Platinum Visa $8,400] [Penfed Power Cash Rewards Visa Sig $10,000] [USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex $15,000] [Citi AAdvantage WMC $5,000] [Macy's Amex $7,500] [JCP $6,500] [Amazon Prime $6,000] [Target $2,000]
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
revjamesl
Valued Contributor

Re: Better to PIF before or after statement cuts?

Following.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | Discover It $45.9k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $40.7k |Barclay Arrival+ WEMC $40k | PENFED Platinum Rewards VS $35k | Lowes $35k | BoA Better Balance Rewards $30k | AMEX EDP $25k | Cap 1 QS $23.25k | NASA Platinum $20k | Chase Freedom $15k | Synchrony Haverty's $16.5k | BBVA NBA Rockets AMEX $15k | FNBO AMEX $15k | Citi Diamond Preferred $10.7k | Best Buy $10k | Synchrony Rooms-to-Go $10k | US Bank Cash+ $7.5k | AMEX BCE $6k | Barclay Financing Visa 1k | |

AU on DW Accounts: Discover It $40k I AMEX BCE $30k | Chase Marriot $29.8k |

Credit Scores: 800 EQ/833 TU/831 EX
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

i've read its good to let balance cut on 1-2 of your cards (<9%) and PIF before on the remaining accounts.. but i would like to +1 for additional insight.

supposedly this tweaking only matters if you plan on applying for any substantial credit in the following few months in order to maximize fico

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

i've read its good to let balance cut on 1-2 of your cards (<9%) and PIF before on the remaining accounts.. but i would like to +1 for additional insight.

supposedly this tweaking only matters if you plan on applying for any substantial credit in the following few months in order to maximize fico

The ideal is all but one at zero, and the last card at between 1% and 9% utilization when the statement cuts. This is only helpful until the next cut, because it is a bump to your score from optimizing utiliization, which has no memory. Utilization is just a snapshot of use at a moment in time, so if you go back to reporting 90% utils on all of your cards, your score will immediatley drop. 

I typically argue that it isn't worth the effort to get the ideal unless you're apping because utilization has no memory. You might want to do it a few month in advance, to confirm that something weird doesn't happen with your scores, but, otherwise, you're putting a lot of effort into a temporary score bump that you aren't going to use. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

After, if not applying for anything.

Shows true usage.
Message 5 of 14
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Shows true usage.

How is this of benefit?

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ability to repay obligations.

I understand the concept but if you are not applying for anything then it is useless as utilization has no memory. You're giving up the biggest benefit of CCs which is the grace period.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Shows true usage.

How is this of benefit?

Not beneficial to FICO score but to asking for larger CL extended to you. After all, it's not very joyous to be approved for a $200 CL card.

Message 8 of 14
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I understand the concept but if you are not applying for anything then it is useless as utilization has no memory. You're giving up the biggest benefit of CCs which is the grace period.

You are not serious. How can the grace period be the biggest benefit? After the first month, the lengthening benefit is gone and you are constantly behind, living your life up against a wall. No, the benefits are protection perks and airline/cash rewards!

Message 9 of 14
rlx01
Established Contributor

@too-much-time wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You are not serious. How can the grace period be the biggest benefit? After the first month, the lengthening benefit is gone and you are constantly behind, living your life up against a wall. No, the benefits are protection perks and airline/cash rewards!

Interest free float is a major benefit... That money can be earning interest somewhere else.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.