Established Member
glaucus

Better to have 1 card at 0% or multiple cards at under 50%?

I have 8 credit cards that are all over 90% maxed. 4 are closed. To increase my score, would I be better to pay one card (an open one I assume) down to 0, or pay two or three of them down to under half? Thank you so much for your help!

Valued Contributor
tcbofade

Re: Better to have 1 card at 0% or multiple cards at under 50%?

First, I would suggest that you pay all eight of them under 90%, then all of them under 80%.

Once you have all eight of them under 80%, then start paying them OFF one at a time.

Good luck!

Current Scores: EX 676 (FCR) TU08: 648 Wally (TU08). 07/01/14 Last app 05/29/2014.
Gardening until 01 November 2014.
(Thou shalt not app, thou shalt not app, thou shalt not app...)
Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Valued Contributor
GregB

Very good advice. There might be a better path but it would require much more info.

Established Member
glaucus

Thank you very much! I have tried so hard to understand how the score works and what I need to do to get the best change the quickest, but I seem to have more questions than ever before.

Valued Member
Homeowner13

glaucus wrote:

Thank you very much! I have tried so hard to understand how the score works and what I need to do to get the best change the quickest, but I seem to have more questions than ever before.

First of all nothing happens quickly with your credit score when it is going up. Remember that it takes time and good credit practices to change your score for the best. If you have no late payments your score will start to rise with the paying down of any of your cards. Having high CU on your cards = lower scores. Get your cards down. Remember your score takes into account your overall Credit Utilization as well as one cards Util. Good luck. 

Starting Score: 719
Current Score: 809
Goal Score: 825

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+