Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to keep or cancel old credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Better to keep or cancel old credit card

Eight years ago, my credit was in trouble.  I  obtained a secured credit card to help rebuild it.  I have used it regularly, and have never been late on a payment - ever.  Now, I have successfully repaired my credit (FICO ~ low 700's), and I am using some commercial credit monitoring services.  One of them, from one of the three credit reporting bureaus, gives advice on how to improve my score.  Unfortunately, the advice is generated automatically, and is nonsense in my specific case.  The top three pieces of advice are 1) Make sure to keep the oldest accounts active, 2) Cancel secured card, 3) Get unsecured cards.

I understand why the advice is telling me to do two, diametrically opposed things.  However, it is very difficult to decide which is the better thing to do.  Should I cancel the oldest account, which has been in good standing for eight years which leaves me with only new credit cards that I now qualify for?  Or, should I keep my secured card?

I'm about to move to another city and buy a house, so the last thing I want to do is damage my credit score by trying to improve it.  My bank tells me that I'll need a FICO above 750 to get the best rates, so I'm almost there.  I want to make only one move to improve my situation before I buy, but I'm terrified that no matter what I do, it'll end up hurting more than helping.  Since FICO doesn't say how they calculate scores, I'm completely in the dark.  Does anyone out there have first-hand experience with something similar?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Better to keep or cancel old credit card

Which service adviced you to do that? Let me know and I will stear of them.

Check out Closing CC's.

Secured CCs do not harm your score and they are just as beneficial as unsecured cards (other than having to fork out a deposit).

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

It was TrueCredit.com.  Thanks a lot, TU!

If secured cards don't hurt, then I'm really frustrated.  It's annoying that Fair Issac has my financial well being in their hands, but refuses to tell me what I must do to get better.  How "Fair" is that?  I think this whole thing is a scam.

Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

nshvleguy wrote:

@llecs wrote:

It was TrueCredit.com.  Thanks a lot, TU!

If secured cards don't hurt, then I'm really frustrated.  It's annoying that Fair Issac has my financial well being in their hands, but refuses to tell me what I must do to get better.  How "Fair" is that?  I think this whole thing is a scam.

Actually, we've figured out a lot about it here, and by reading, you'll learn most of what you need to know.

To start with, what are the positives and negatives that you get on screen 2 of your FICO score reports?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Looking back at my post I realized that I couldn't spell and left out a word or two....It was my twin. Yeah, that's the ticket.

To piggyback on Hauling's post, you'd want to ignore TC's advice and scores. Not even related to FICO.

Keep reading in these forums and you'll see the makeup of your FICO score and what you can do to improve it. As Hauling mentioned, the positive and negative facotrs on your FICO reports on page 2 and 3 are very insightful.

Message Edited by llecs on 03-17-2009 02:02 PM
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.