Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of the Dispute

tag
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Re: Beware of the Dispute

I've had it go both ways, dispute somethng and score goes up during dispute, or down. Also, I have noticed TU and EQ both go back to where they were, or higher if the dispute is in my favor, but it sometimes takes a few days. EX never goes back to where it was pre-dispute. It takes something else outside of the disputed account to get it back up again, like a CLI, etc.
Message 21 of 22
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Beware of the Dispute

@checkach wrote:
I disputed an incorrect charge (merchant, not card had wrong amount). My score dropped and didn't recover completely, even though it wasn't a dispute with credit reporting agency. I also had a 740 credit score, and lender (without my permission, since I knew better than to dispute anything during process of obtaining a mortgage) and my score dropped. It still hasn't completely recovered. I don't care what anyone says, opening a dispute does lower your score.

That is the way it works.  If you dispute something with the CCC, they will notify the CRAs there is something about the TL you dispute.

Yes, a dispute can lower your score.  But only on OC accounts.  CAs and PRs are fully factor in.

Message 22 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.