cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Borrower or Co-borrower equally reported when calculating scores?

tag
JMCB
Regular Contributor

Borrower or Co-borrower equally reported when calculating scores?

When a loan or credit card reports to your credit report, are the Borrower or Co-borrower equally reported when calculating scores? As in, if you have a perfect reporting account that you are the primary borrower, will it affect your score more being the co-borrower? The reason I ask this, is that I am opening two loans in the next few months with another person to help build my credit. I can be the borrower or co-borrower. The interest rate is locked by the credit union so we are not worried who is first or second. I am just curious if it makes a difference or if they are equally reported?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Borrower or Co-borrower equally reported when calculating scores?

@JMCB wrote:

When a loan or credit card reports to your credit report, are the Borrower or Co-borrower equally reported when calculating scores? As in, if you have a perfect reporting account that you are the primary borrower, will it affect your score more being the co-borrower? The reason I ask this, is that I am opening two loans in the next few months with another person to help build my credit. I can be the borrower or co-borrower. The interest rate is locked by the credit union so we are not worried who is first or second. I am just curious if it makes a difference or if they are equally reported?

Makes no difference in scoring its how the account is handled that matters to both.

Message 2 of 5
JMCB
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply! Thats good to know. One last question, does it affect the scoring any different if you need a co-signer or co-borrower? Or if you are the only one on the account? Or still calculated the same?

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@JMCB wrote:

Thanks for the reply! Thats good to know. One last question, does it affect the scoring any different if you need a co-signer or co-borrower? Or if you are the only one on the account? Or still calculated the same?

Thanks again!

Not going to make any difference. A Fico score is created by what is in ones file and it doesnt look to see if one is a borrower, coB or an AU.

Message 4 of 5
JMCB
Regular Contributor

Thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure. Thank you again for the information and help!!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.