Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buckets/Scorecards ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Buckets/Scorecards ?

So I am new here and I keep hearing about buckets/scorecards. How do these buckets work and how can you tell what bucket your in? How do you move up a bucket?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Buckets/Scorecards ?

Welcome to the forums!

1. No one knows how they work exactly, but various patents and other texts have alluded to their existence.
  2. You can't know what scorecard you're in, you can only assume/estimate based on the data points others have
  3. It appears scorecards are affected by the age of your old account and possibly the age of your newest account, plus whether or not you have any derogatories (and how many).

If you really want to rabbit hole, use the searchbar and dig in.  Search for scorecard or bucket or rebucketing -- there are hundreds of threads and thousands of comments based on theory, data points and assumptions!

The basic idea of a scorecard is to delineate the maximum score you can have.  As you climb into better buckets, your maximum possible score goes up.

To me, at least, it seems the best way to get to the top scorecard is to let your oldest account age a long time, don't apply for new credit for 2 years, and make sure you have no derogatory information.  This doesn't guarantee you a higher FICO score, it guarantees you a higher POSSIBLE FICO score.  You need other data in your profile to actually get the highest score in your bucket.

FICO8 seems to have 4 negative scorecard groups and 8 positive ones.  

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the response
I will be using the search button today lol
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok one more question
On myfico gives me reason codes for what is hurting my credit. The reasons always say "most high achievers " have this or that.
So does that mean I'm in a higher bucket since I'm be compared to high achievers or does everyone reasons compare to "high achievers " ?
Message 4 of 5
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

No, it does not. Those are default statements that always show up. Also, those particular generalizations are not Fico scoring criteria.

BTW - # of scorecards associated with various Fico models is well documented and widely published. However, the specific details regarding scorecard assignment have not been published. That is where deduction based on observed behavior by posters takes over. Fico 8 has 12 scorecards with 4 being dirty while the older Fico 4 and Fico 98 models have 10 scorecards with 2 being dirty. Fico 9 added a 13th scorecard (for consumers with a high amount of revolving debt)

Fico 8 Scorecards.jpg

An illustration of a simplistic segmentation is shown below

segmentation scheme.gif

Note: The weight given to various scoring factors is dependent on scorecard - particularly the dirty/clean segmentation as shown below. Please be aware the below is only an illustration of how segmentation works and is purposefully misleading to avoid disclosing actual specifics of the model algorithms.

Fico segmented scorecards 2.gif

Below is a guestimation on how Fico 8, Fico 9 may be segmented

Fico 8 segmentation.jpg

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.