cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buckets and Credit Scoring during Disputes?

tag
HD247

Buckets and Credit Scoring during Disputes?

As I mentioned prior, I disputed three old (almost 5 years) Charrge-off credit cards and in one day my equifax credit score dropped 55 points!.. All three cards are over 9 years old as well.  Is the reason the it dropped so dramatically was because I was placed in a different scoring algorithm?  They have since been removed as of this morning by Equifax themselves, and accounts went back to status prior to disputes.  Is the scoring bucket the main culprit here?

Thank you for any help or insight, have a home umder agreement and this drop killed me!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Buckets and Credit Scoring during Disputes?

When you dispute OC accounts, certain aspects of those accounts are removed from scoring during the dispute  Like payment history, CL and balances.  It can make your score go up or down.

There is no rebucketing involved in a dispute, just some things are removed from factoring into your score.

You say they have been removed.  Do you mean the disputes or the accounts? 

If the CO'd accounts were removed and you have no more major derogatories, you could have been rebucketed.

Message 2 of 6
HD247

I had the disputes removed with the OC's that caused the 55 point drop.  I phoned EQ Executive Customer Service, (who was outstanding BTW), and she removed the disputes and put account to the status they were prior to the disputes.  Hasn't been 24 hours yet, so when might I see the update to the myfico credit score?

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 6

What does "Bucket" and "rebucketing" mean?

Thanks

Message 5 of 6
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@I_SUFFER_FROM_FICO_ENVY wrote:

What does "Bucket" and "rebucketing" mean?

Thanks

FICO groups people with similar credit profiles together and adjusts scoring factors to have different weights so as to give the best in the group higher scores in relation to the others.  Different people in different scoring brackets are not scored exactly the same.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.