Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Balance reduction

tag
sok454
Established Member

CC Balance reduction

This month I paid off aproximately 20k of my balances of 25k in cc debt.   Any guesses on what sort of score increase I shoul see?  Secondly would by score go up for remvoving an outstanding mortgage?   My name is still on my ex-wifes mortgage and she is about to refinance so my name will come off of it. 

Starting Score: 596
Current Score: 646
Goal Score: 720+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CC Balance reduction

Congrats on the debt paydown! What is your before and after CC util?

On the mortgage, will your AAoA go up or down? Was this your oldest loan?

Message 2 of 10
Jlu
Established Contributor

Is it $20k in open revolving lines or are these closed CO's or CA's? If you paid $20k in open revolving lines on $25k worth of revolving credit your scores could go up huge.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 3 of 10
sok454
Established Member

I paid off 15k between cit and chase card and then my exwife paid off a old joint acct. of 5k.   She still has 5k to pay off that i'm on and I have about 2000 left of my own.  I am going from about 95% utilization to about 10%.  

Not sure what you were asking about the mortgage.  

Message 4 of 10
sok454
Established Member

The mortgage was only 6 y ears old.   Not sure what the AAofA was you were asking.

Message 5 of 10
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@sok454 wrote:

The mortgage was only 6 y ears old.   Not sure what the AAofA was you were asking.

AAoA is the average age of all of your OC accounts. It's a significant scoring component. It's calculated by adding up the age of your OC accounts (the same accounts on your Accounts page of your FICO report). You average them and then round down to the nearest whole number. That's your AAoA. So, if the mortgage were 20 years old, for example, and you had an AAoA of 4 years, then there's a potential hit on your AAoA if it drops after losing the mortgage. Removing a 6 year old mortgage won't have the same impact of a 20 in that example, but worth calculating the before and after. If AAoA drops, there's a potential for a score loss if the mortgage is removed. YOu can cheat and sometimes find AAoA on your FICO report.

Message 6 of 10
Jlu
Established Contributor

Reducing your utilization that drastically will have an equally drastic effect on your score. There is no telling how much of an increase you can expect but keep in mind that utilization is about 1/3 of your overall score from a FICO perspective.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 7 of 10
sok454
Established Member

My avg age is greater than the loan period so it should be flat or could help it out a small amt.   Thank you for the information!

Message 8 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

What score do you have now?

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 9 of 10
sok454
Established Member

596 is what is showing here.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.