Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC inquiry makes my credt go up!

tag
DawgZ
Contributor

CC inquiry makes my credt go up!

Everytime I think I know how this credit stuff works it goes and changes on me......

I applied for a credit card and got a HP and my credit went up lol!

FicoAlert.PNG

My Wallet - Cap1 Visa Signature $13k, Chase Saphire Prefered $13.5k, Well's Fargo Rewards $10k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC $6.5k, Cap1 Quicksilver V $4k, Chase Freedom $9k, Discover IT $7.5k, Amex BCE $34k, Amazon/Chase $2.5k,PenFed V $10.5k, Amex Green

EQ 810(Fico), EX 806 (Fico), TU 815 (Fico)

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC inquiry makes my credt go up!

Your score didn't go up because of the inquiry.  An inquiry will always either have no effect on your score or cause you to lose a few points.  In your case, the inquiry is what caused the alert and the score increase was due to some other factor.  This is a common cause of confusion with FICO alerts because people always assume that the score changes (if any) and what caused the alert are tied together when quite often they aren't related at all.  What triggers FICO alerts are only certain 'events' and score changes can be caused by hundreds of factors in the FICO scoring algorithm many which are unknown due to proprietary secrets.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC inquiry makes my credt go up!

Irish is 100% correct above.

It's impossible for a new inquiry to increase your credit score.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.