Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC utilization question

tag
joeblow2
Regular Contributor

CC utilization question

I have a TU score 722 and EQ 714. trying to boost scores. I have 7 CC.  0 balances on all with exception of 1 It has a 5800 limit and i keep a balance under $40 just to have a balance reporting I pay the min payment every month but always keep at least a balance of between $5 - $40. for the past year i have seen no increase in my score. AAoA is a little over 5 yrs. Is keeping this balance going to improve my scores or should i just pay it off and have all balances report 0 ? The only positive to this i can see so far is that On my TU Fico summary i get a positive remark for having a CC balance report. I also have a mortgage paid on time 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: CC utilization question

It would make very little difference.
Message 2 of 7
joeblow2
Regular Contributor

So i would be better off then just paying it off and let a 0 balance report accross all CC and only have a mortgage reporting ? 
Message 3 of 7
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

Some posters here believe they have been penalized a few points for showing all zero balances. We have 7 cards as well, and I always try to show a small balance on one of them. Usually because of the way payments and charges post, I'll end up with a small balance on a couple of them, but normally <1% utilization.

The only way you'll know is to let all zero balances show and pull another score and report. Either way, it's not a huge amount of movement...and it's fixable next time things report if you do get penalized.

Message 4 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

I have lost as much as 15 points on TU for having a small balance report on a single card and TU likes 0% reporting.  This isnt true for everyone (most) and is credit report conetent dependent.  0% util costs me 3 points on EQ so keep that in mind.  I would not use a GEMB card on this experiement since they are slow to report 0 balances.  use a card that always reports each month are the same time.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 7
joeblow2
Regular Contributor

So what your saying is that TU penalizes for small bal. reporting and EQ penalizes for 0 bal reporting ? So how do people with 800 + scores do it ?

Message 6 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

@joeblow2 wrote:

So what your saying is that TU penalizes for small bal. reporting and EQ penalizes for 0 bal reporting ? So how do people with 800 + scores do it ?

The same way everyone does.  Knowing how your score is effected by the reporting of balances and when the CCC reports a balance.  Trial and error if will.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.