cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFL will they increase my FICO or Decrease FICO score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CFL will they increase my FICO or Decrease FICO score?

I have 7 CFL from small financial company all PID some near 10 year deletion mark being that none,  are from a Bank how does that look to FICO and other lenders. Should I have them removed and if so will it negatively effect my score and credit profile overall.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CFL will they increase my FICO or Decrease FICO score?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have 7 CFL from small financial company all PID some near 10 year deletion mark being that none,  are from a Bank how does that look to FICO and other lenders. Should I have them removed and if so will it negatively effect my score and credit profile overall.

You are dinged some for having CFLs vs. banks. But, I have to think that the age is helping you right now more than the CFL nature of the loans are hurting. If I were you, I would go to my local CU and establish a relationship there. Then, start doing the stuff that you were doing at the CFL at your CU. I wouldn't dispute them.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, it makes no difference for scoring if you have one CFL or if you have ten of them.  You are dinged just for the presence of a CFL on your account, and then no more after that.  They are not like collections or inquiries, where each one hurts a little bit on its own.

So unless you manage to get all of them removed, it would not effect the "CFL ding" on your score anyway.

It's a good idea to remember that disputing closed tradelines in good standing with no late payments associated with them is almost never a good idea, whether they are CFLs or not.  In almost every case, having that extra positive history will help much more than the CFL designation hurts.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

well said Cheddar!!

cheddar wrote:
Also, it makes no difference for scoring if you have one CFL or if you have ten of them.  You are dinged just for the presence of a CFL on your account, and then no more after that.  They are not like collections or inquiries, where each one hurts a little bit on its own.

So unless you manage to get all of them removed, it would not effect the "CFL ding" on your score anyway.

It's a good idea to remember that disputing closed tradelines in good standing with no late payments associated with them is almost never a good idea, whether they are CFLs or not.  In almost every case, having that extra positive history will help much more than the CFL designation hurts.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.