Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CO falls off early

tag
Peter1142
Established Contributor

CO falls off early

A CO has fallen off my EQ, TU, and now a few months later also my EX reports about 2 years early. I'm curious if anyone knows how/why this happens? Since it fell off all 3 it doesn't seem random.

On another note, my UTIL went from someodd 22.75 to 22.25, and my score jumped 15 points. IDK what else changed on my report. All accounts are older than 1 year, AAoA didn't change, and no inqs fell off. FICO scoring is a real mystery sometimes.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: CO falls off early

If a CO falls off, and your score jumps, are the two events related?

Message 2 of 5
Peter1142
Established Contributor

No it was different reports

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

There are two key components controlling when a collection or charge-off becomes excluded.

One is the reported DOFD on the OC account, which determines the date used by the CRA to calculate its maximum exclusion date of  7 years plus 180 days after the reported DOFD, and the other is the possible earlier exclusion by an individual CRA pror to its maximum required exclusion date.

If all CRAs have excluded two years prior to what you are considering to be its max exclusion date, my guess would be that the DOFD actually reported by the creditor on the account is most likely earlier than the date you are assumng and using.

Are you getting the actual reported DOFD from your CR, or are you asuming a DOFD?

If assuming a DOFD, are you using the first date of delinquency in the chain of delinquencies that immediately preceding the CO, or some later date, such as when the CO was first reported?

It would be interesting to see what the reported DOFD is with each CRA...

However, there is another possibility........

It could be that te creditor reported deletion of the CO with each CRA, and thus its removal was due to dletion by the creditor, and not crredit report exclusion by the CRA.

If the debt has been satisfied, the OC may have decided to cut you a break, or remove the derog in order to clear the decks of any possible dispute.

Message 4 of 5
Peter1142
Established Contributor

They must have cut me a break as the account didn't exist 7 years ago. Considering I never used the card it was just the fees it came loaded with I eventually paid, I think I deserve the break.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.