Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CREDIT SCORE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CREDIT SCORE

I DISPUTE SOME THINGS ON MY CREDIT REPORT, MY SCORE WAS A 681, NOW IT IS A 668.  MY QUESTION IS; IS IT A BAD THING TO DISPUTE? AFTER THE INVESTIGATION WILL THE CREDIT SCORE GO BACK UP?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CREDIT SCORE

Hi pyk, welcome to the forums. Please read credit scoring 101, if you haven't already.

What did you dispute? When you dispute TLs, they are removed from FICO scoring, until the dispute is complete. If there are derogs in there and it comes back verified, the derogs will be brought forward, from a scoring standpoint only, thus injuring the score further.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
laz98
Senior Contributor

this is something i don't understand.  why does the fact that they are verified, make them more damaging?  it didn't occur any sooner, it just got updated.  isn't that the same as them reporting every month?
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

MOST OF THE THINGS I DISPUTE ARE SOME THINGS THAT WAS VERY OLD ON MY REPORT FROM 1995, IT HAS BEEN PAID, SO I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THEY REMOVE THE ACCOUNTS WOULD MY SCORE INCREASE BACK TO WHAT IT WAS.  I'M TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THIS WHOLE CREDIT SCORE....

Message 4 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

pyk wrote:

MOST OF THE THINGS I DISPUTE ARE SOME THINGS THAT WAS VERY OLD ON MY REPORT FROM 1995, IT HAS BEEN PAID, SO I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THEY REMOVE THE ACCOUNTS WOULD MY SCORE INCREASE BACK TO WHAT IT WAS.  I'M TRYING TO UNDERSTAND THIS WHOLE CREDIT SCORE....

Hi, pyk! If there's any way that you could stop posting in all caps, it would be appreciated. Standard online etiquette says that ALL CAPS FEELS LIKE SHOUTING, plus it's hard to read.

Anyway, as ByrdMan said, you have got to read Credit Scoring 101 before going any further. Any answers or advice that you get won't make sense until you have a basic understanding of FICO credit scoring, and this will get you started. It's stickied up at the top of this board, and it's also linked in my siggy below.

Also, please read the myFICO PDF education booklet, which is also in my siggy. It's a great resource, and if you have a printer hooked up, it's well worth burning up some paper to print it out.

Again, trying to figure out credit by asking a question here or there is just going to get you more confused.

As for your situation, length of history is an important part of your credit profile, so removing old accounts can really hurt.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 9
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

laz98 wrote:
this is something i don't understand.  why does the fact that they are verified, make them more damaging?  it didn't occur any sooner, it just got updated.  isn't that the same as them reporting every month?
It's a punishment to dissuade one from disputing.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OH COME ON NOW BE SERIOUS, THIS IS A DISCUSSION FORUM, I'M NOT TRYING TO GET TRAINED ON HOW TO TYPE A COMMENT.... WHETHER IT'S LOWER OR UPPER CASE. 
Message 7 of 9
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

pyk wrote:
I DISPUTE SOME THINGS ON MY CREDIT REPORT, MY SCORE WAS A 681, NOW IT IS A 668.  MY QUESTION IS; IS IT A BAD THING TO DISPUTE? AFTER THE INVESTIGATION WILL THE CREDIT SCORE GO BACK UP?

Its bad
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
OH COME ON NOW BE SERIOUS, THIS IS A DISCUSSION FORUM, I'M NOT TRYING TO GET TRAINED ON HOW TO TYPE A COMMENT.... WHETHER IT'S LOWER OR UPPER CASE. 

At least now you are using the all CAPs properly by yelling... Hauling (who asked you not to use all CAPs) is one of the nicest and most helpful people at this forum. I would humbly recommend that you show a small amount of respect if you'd like some help.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.