cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CU Pulled EXP for Mortgage - Same EXP score as Credit Expert - Just Saying....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CU Pulled EXP for Mortgage - Same EXP score as Credit Expert - Just Saying....

I know this is opening up a whole can of worms, but FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH......Smiley Wink

Our CU pulled EXP (I don't know why they pull EXP, but they do) for a mortgage app on Saturday. 

My Score:  731           DH's Score:  704

I pulled our scores up on CreditKeeper (I know I cancelled it before, but I did a new 30 day freebie just to check this out) and the results are:

My Score:  731           DH's Score:  704

I also have to note that these are Experian's Credit Expert Scores and they vary dramatically from Experian's PLUS scores - which are also noted on CreditKeeper and other places - just to confuse us all.

Okay.  Please don't beat me up for posting this.  I know we can't buy Experian FICO scores and only our lender can pull them - BUT - in this case - CreditKeeper's Credit Expert Scores for Experian were identical for both of us to what the lender pulled.  Just a data point for someone.......

Be gentle.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CU Pulled EXP for Mortgage - Same EXP score as Credit Expert - Just Saying....

Name of CU? Or at least is it local CU or national CU?
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CU Pulled EXP for Mortgage - Same EXP score as Credit Expert - Just Saying....

local (5-Star rated) CU - interesting question - does that affect how they pull?
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alliant uses NextGen for approvals, so I was thinking it could be a similar situation.

From other reports, the CreditKeeper scores are Plus scores, so that could be what your CU is using. That would make them one of a small minority that use non-Fico scores for mortgage approvals.

Or it could be a coincidence. Improbable but not impossible. There was another post where someone's EQ and TU Plus scores were both 2 points off their respective Fico scores ...

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

CreditKeeper tracks the Plus scores on your main page; but within the 3-in-1 report, they indicate the Credit Expert scores.  They are very different scores (at least for us).  The plus scores haven't tied into anything we've run into - seem absolutely useless.   

The other two scores in the 3-in-1 report for EQ & TU are very far off our FICO scores on the two occasions we've pulled both of our reports - so absolutely no correlation there.

The EXP Credit Expert Scores (within the 3-in-1 report) are the ones that were identical to the CU pull for EXP.

Message 5 of 10
marty56
Super Contributor

IMHO you are very unlucky that the scores were the same.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I thought that scores from CreditExpert were Plus scores, so perhaps something has changed.

Maybe ask your CU what specific name is listed for the scoring model that was used?

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marty56 wrote:

I like data points.  And I don't have a loan officer pull for a mortgage that often, so I find it interesting.  I hope someone else has a complementary experience so we can look at their data points as well.  It's a brain cell weakness, along with my yearning for chocolate at odd moments.
Message 8 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

beamMEup wrote:

@marty56 wrote:

I like data points.  And I don't have a loan officer pull for a mortgage that often, so I find it interesting.  I hope someone else has a complementary experience so we can look at their data points as well.  It's a brain cell weakness, along with my yearning for chocolate at odd moments.

As they pulled for a mortgage app, I think that they are supposed to give you a copy of the credit report and score that was used. When you get it, can you peer down at the eensie print and tell us what it is?

The FICO EX score that you used to be able to get here is called the Experian/Fair Isaac Risk Model V2.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
As they pulled for a mortgage app, I think that they are supposed to give you a copy of the credit report and score that was used. When you get it, can you peer down at the eensie print and tell us what it is?

Well, I am frustrated with my 5-Star local CU right now.

We shopped and found National City Mortgage gave us about a full point lower interest and will refinance a higher percentage of the home's value...so we've put the CU on hold for a few weeks while we work with NCM.

We did call the CU and ask if we could pick up a copy of the credit reports, he indicated he could not release them to us; and that we should go to the annual credit report site and order our own.  He said we didn't need to know or worry about our scores.  We've been with them for several years - but I find this experience frustrating and just a little "off".  DH didn't even know they had pulled a CR - thought they were using one from 30 days ago - but we see them as a new inquiry.

When we were at NCM, we asked for our credit report and they handed us over the entire report immediately and discussed them with us.

So, no luck on what the CU pulled.  Would have been nice to know (and see!).

Thanks for the excellent responses - much appreciated.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.